Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what to do with rent judgement ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what to do with rent judgement ?

yes i have a judgement on my credit report in the amount of $414.00 and it is due to fall off dec. 2011

i was wondering how to handle this as it is not paid . but i was told not to pay let fall off cause if i pay it will hurt my credit more as it would be like new . please help me

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: what to do with rent judgement ?

In order to get a judgment deleted you first must have the creditor file a *vacate order* with the court. This cost money and they might not do it even if you offer to pay. It also takes time.

If you just PIF they (creditor) might notify the court that you paid. When this happens the judgment reporting might get updated!!!   You do not want any baddy updated because FICO will read it as new.

I have a foreclosure reporting as unpaid from 2003. There was never a Bal owed. I will not have it corrected because it would update & show a newer date. This would cause my FICO scores to go way down. It will drop in 2010.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, so i should not pay it and just wait for it to delete. do you think that it is holding my score down? do you think after i finish  repairing the rest of my credit  that my score should be ok. i am aiming for 700 by nov. 2009 current ly low 500's .

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would find out what the process of having a judgment vacated consists of in your area. I would then contact the attorney/party that filed and ask if they would object to you filing the motion to vacate if you PIF.

faithwantsgoodcredit wrote:

ok, so i should not pay it and just wait for it to delete. do you think that it is holding my score down? do you think after i finish  repairing the rest of my credit  that my score should be ok. i am aiming for 700 by nov. 2009 current ly low 500's .

It may not be the only thing holding your scores down, but it is keeping you in a certain score bucket and may prevent you from raising up past a certain level, no matter what you do.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 03-31-2009 01:01 PM
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are a couple of compelling reasons that I think you should go ahead and pay.

One is that even though your score won't increase, a "paid" judgment looks much better on a manual review (like for a mortgage) than "unpaid".  I've seen anecdotes on this site where someone is required to pay off a judgment before the mortgage closes.

Another reason to pay is that some states allow an unpaid judgment to be renewed after a certain number of years.  Which means that you could start the clock again on a ~new~ judgment.  Check your state resources.

Also, and maybe the mods can comment on this, but my understanding of how the reporting works is that judgments are unlike CA's in that they don't keep updating.  So where paying a CA, or forcing them to correct some incorrect reporting, can make it look like a more recent collection in terms of your score, judgments don't work that way.  Judgments are not reported as 90-days late or whatever each month, or have a DOLA, or anything like that--I don't think there's a mechanism for doing so.  So paying off a judgment wouldn't cause the judgment to update as a newer judgment (like CA's can make it look like a newer collection) except that it would be marked "paid".  Admittedly, "paid" doesn't really help you in terms of score. 

Another thing is that it is the judgment itself that hurts you--it doesn't matter how quick you pay it off, nothing about you pay it--just "paid" "settled" or "settled for less than full amount" and the date it was paid (or the "paid" document was filed with the court).  So I don't see how paying it off can negatively affect you because of reporting newer.  Also, where you can't vacate, the fall off date counts from the date of the judgment.  So even if paying it somehow makes it look like a newer judgment (which I don't think it does), it still falls when it is supposed to.  Paying definitely does not make it stay on longer.  Mods?

Your judgment is for a relatively small amount, so it seems unlikely that they'll garnish you or freeze your accounts or use any of their harsher remedies, but it might be worth the piece of mind.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.