Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats my next move?

tag
Alpha
New Contributor

whats my next move?

last year i had to file chapter 7 due to unexpected layoff at work. my discharge was in march. I reaffirmed my 2 year old car loan with Ford Motor Credit and it was and is in good standing with no late or missed payments. I did not reaffirm my home loan but kept the house and still make the payments..( also no late or missed payments). since discharge i have a first premier CC with a $700 limit and it has been paid on time since i got it in april. it currently has zero balance , also have a Motorola and Overstock accounts which have all been paid on time and have zero balance. motorola has a $1500 limit and Overstock has a $2000 limit. I also have a fingerthut card with an $1100 limit and a zero balance. my Equifax score is 659 with an auto 8 score of 682.

currently what is my best course of action to improve my score?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: whats my next move?

@Alpha wrote:

last year i had to file chapter 7 due to unexpected layoff at work. my discharge was in march. I reaffirmed my 2 year old car loan with Ford Motor Credit and it was and is in good standing with no late or missed payments. I did not reaffirm my home loan but kept the house and still make the payments..( also no late or missed payments). since discharge i have a first premier CC with a $700 limit and it has been paid on time since i got it in april. it currently has zero balance , also have a Motorola and Overstock accounts which have all been paid on time and have zero balance. motorola has a $1500 limit and Overstock has a $2000 limit. I also have a fingerthut card with an $1100 limit and a zero balance. my Equifax score is 659 with an auto 8 score of 682.

BK to 700 guide

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Message 2 of 16
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Alpha wrote:

BK to 700 guide

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-p/1384075

This link listed above is the best.  You should check out and see what Capital One has to offer you.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

A couple of Cap One cards wouldn't hurt, but on the whole you are doing fine. Just kick back, make your payments on time, and keep your balances low.
Message 4 of 16
Alpha
New Contributor

unfortunately i burned Capital One and Discover pretty good in the BK. it's going to be a while before i can get a Cap One card and i am thinking a very long time before Discover forgives me. i must admit i am fairly surpsised at how high my score is so soon after discharge.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Alpha wrote:

unfortunately i burned Capital One and Discover pretty good in the BK. it's going to be a while before i can get a Cap One card and i am thinking a very long time before Discover forgives me. i must admit i am fairly surpsised at how high my score is so soon after discharge.

I charged off 2 cap ones, finally paid them 3 years later, sent in a good will, they deleted both accounts, applied 2 weeks later after they deleted off my CR and recieved 2 unsecured cards for higher SL than what i got originally...im not sure about the BK thing but for the most part cap 1 is pretty forgiving. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One only has a 12 month blackout period from the time of the charge off. If the account was not yet charged off when you filed, you may not even be in a blackout.
Message 7 of 16
Alpha
New Contributor

looking at my credit reports that i pulled in march it appears there were no charge offs at all..   hhmm

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go ahead and app for their no fee platinum card. You can get it upgraded to rewards status after a couple of statements.

If you are in their blackout they won't even pull your reports.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go ahead and app for their no fee platinum card. You can get it upgraded to rewards status after a couple of statements.

If you are in their blackout they won't even pull your reports.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.