Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats rule on issuing notice 5 days from CRA reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

whats rule on issuing notice 5 days from CRA reporting

isnt there a CA requrement of issuing a letter within the first five days of reporting a collection account to CRA's.

something that says you need to inform/report within the first five days of communication upon discovery of a collection account on CRA?

i m in Texas and some 90 days since first reported on CRA, i received a dunning collection letter which was the very first communication to me from this CA?

The latest letter is dated December 23, 2015 & collection was first reported to CRA on September 11, 2015  using a different collection agency name from what has been received by me today. Meaning CRA reporting company is Allied Collection Services and the dunning letter with Miranda rights of collections was received with the name of Resident Collect Inc. Both names have the same surety bond in Texas.

irrespective of their individual collection agency name, the address shown is the same. A certified mail requesting Debt Validation was sent on Nov 21st, 2015 to Allied Collection (with same letter) and also a online dispute with EQ was filed on Nov 16th, 2015. A response to my online dispute was followed by a letter from Resident Collect Inc with itemized bills and what was being collected with original creditor. At this point, they have not yet received my TX TFC 392 DV request. 

Now, i get this dunning letter dated december 23, 2015. 

What should i do? have i got my debt validation responded to? The response received via their first letter with bills was in response to my online dispute not via the letter. of November 21, 2015

Should i send out another response request for DV saying this is my first ever communication received by me from Allied collection Services aka Resident Collect Inc.

What happens to TX TFC 392 request of November 21 received by them on Nov 26th, 2015. As of December 29th, 2015, no response to my DV TX TFC 392 letter of Nov 21, 2015. thats 30+ days so far? is it 60+ 1 day on TX TFC 392.

What should i do? help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: whats rule on issuing notice 5 days from CRA reporting

Lots of different issues....

First,, there is no statute or reg that specicically states that a debt collector must send a collection ("dunning") notice within any set period after reporting to a CRA.

The statutory requirement is FDCPA 809(a), which mandates a collection notice within 5 days after an "initial communication with the consumer."

While the statute does not mention credit reporting as being an "initial communication,"  there is case law that has interpreted the dunning notice requirment of section 809(a) to include reporting to as CRA as a triggering event.

You could, if you chose, assert that they have violated FDCPA 809(a) by filing a formal complaint with the CFPB, or even initiating your own civil action.

However, past treatment of such violations have not been persued by the CFPB unless they are known to have involved hundreds, if not thouands, of consumers.

It has not been considered a serious matter.  Additionally, lack of timely dunning notice is not basis for requiring deletion of the reported collection, and would only subject the debt collector to sanctions, and as such, are not normally pursued by consumers.  Thus,, debt collectors do not generally shake in their boots when a lack of timely dunning notice assertion is made.

When you send a debt validation request, if you are invoking the provisions of the TX Finance Code, you must clearly identity your request as under that code.

Sending a DV under teh provisions of FDCPA 809(b) does not bring in to play the additional requirments of the TX code.

Assuming you sent both, there is no time peirod for respose to a DV under the FDCPA, but the debt collector must respond to a request under the TX Finance Code within 30 days.  If you also filed a dispute and they provided adequate information to validate, then that response would, in my opinion, constutute adequate reply to any DV.

To assert otherwise would place form over substance.

There is no need for any second DV request.  A consumer is not reqired to have first received any communication from a debt collector in order to request validation.

If you sent a DV prior to any communication or dunning notice, you have a timely DV that imposed a cease collection bar. Howerver, a DV sent after credit reporting is not retroactive, and thus has not effect on any prior reporting they may have made, or require its deletion.

You can choose to pursue an assertion of lack of timely dunning notice, but in my opinion, I would not do so.

You now have a substnative response, and I would move forward on the merits.

Is the debt in fact valid, and the only issue is one of possible violation of timeliness requirements?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

isnt there a CA requrement of issuing a letter within the first five days of reporting a collection account to CRA's.

something that says you need to inform/report within the first five days of communication upon discovery of a collection account on CRA?

i m in Texas and some 90 days since first reported on CRA, i received a dunning collection letter which was the very first communication to me from this CA?

The latest letter is dated December 23, 2015 & collection was first reported to CRA on September 11, 2015  using a different collection agency name from what has been received by me today. Meaning CRA reporting company is Allied Collection Services and the dunning letter with Miranda rights of collections was received with the name of Resident Collect Inc. Both names have the same surety bond in Texas.

irrespective of their individual collection agency name, the address shown is the same. A certified mail requesting Debt Validation was sent on Nov 21st, 2015 to Allied Collection (with same letter) and also a online dispute with EQ was filed on Nov 16th, 2015. A response to my online dispute was followed by a letter from Resident Collect Inc with itemized bills and what was being collected with original creditor. At this point, they have not yet received my TX TFC 392 DV request. 

Now, i get this dunning letter dated december 23, 2015. 

What should i do? have i got my debt validation responded to? The response received via their first letter with bills was in response to my online dispute not via the letter. of November 21, 2015

Should i send out another response request for DV saying this is my first ever communication received by me from Allied collection Services aka Resident Collect Inc.

What happens to TX TFC 392 request of November 21 received by them on Nov 26th, 2015. As of December 29th, 2015, no response to my DV TX TFC 392 letter of Nov 21, 2015. thats 30+ days so far? is it 60+ 1 day on TX TFC 392.

What should i do? help

Do you know for certain that these are the same business entity? Its quite common for debts to be sold and resold, or transferred fron one agency to another. Does the letter from Resident Collect reference the owner of the debt or the reporting CA in any way?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Principal Name: Allied Collection Service Inc. dba Residentcollect Inc# 1
Address:4230 LBJ Freeway Suite 407 
Dallas, TX 75244 
File Number:20050060 
Date Filed:3/7/2005 
Cancellation Date:10/30/2011 
Phone: 
Bonding Company:Travelers Casualty & Surety Company of America  
Bond No:775224947TX 
Principal Name: ResidentCollect Inc# 2
Address:4230 LBJ Freeway Suite 407 
Dallas, TX 75244 
File Number:20100191 
Date Filed:7/16/2010 
Cancellation Date: 
Phone: 
Bonding Company:Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America  
Bond No:7752241272TX 
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so they are the same company, just changed names. Probably trying to shed a bad rep under the old name....

As Robert indicated, they have apparently provided validation, you either move forward with settlement negotiations, or not, choice is yours.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it considered validation if you receive communication upon an online dispute? All i have received is an itemized bill of charges 

I m under the impression that my request for validation via certified mail sent on Nov  21, 2015 and received by  Resident Collect Inc on 23rd, Nov 2015 has not been responded to. also, that request for validation included the TX TFC 392.202 provision? 

However, a dunning letter dated December 23rd, 2015 from Resident Collect has been acknowledged by me. Now if they have already responded why bother sending out another dunning letter.

Not sure i understand if my TX TFC 392 has been responded to.

Here's details

Sept 11, 2015:I started off  getting in touch with CA when i first discovered a collection account on my EX & EQ Credit Report. First reported date of collection Sept 10th, 2015 on EX & EQ. I moved out August 01, 2015. No correspondence via mail of outstanding amount due from Apt Complex to my last known address given to leasing office.upon move out.

November 15, 2015: I filed an online dispute with Credit Bureau.

Nov 20th , 2015: I received a response from Credit Bureau that the dispute is updated. (not Deleted). Valid. disputed as " not my account" with CRA. 

Nov 21st, 2015: I send out a DV requesting validation under TX TFC 392.202. I use USPS certified mail. My TX TFC 392.202 DV is received by CA resident collect under the disguise of Allied collection services on 23rd Nov, 2015.
Nov 24th, 2015: Within two days of my sending out TX TFC 392.202 DV i receive a response from CA. It includes itemized bills and charges.
It says
Cover Letter on CA letterhead with Fax# (typically unusual). 
Enclosed plz find docs regarding above referenced acct and outstanding debt currently with our office for collection. After investigation/review it has been determined the account is accurate and the balance is due and owing.

Plz note, the ledge DOES NOT reflect any additional fees added to the account as result of account being placed with Resident Collect Inc for collections.
This is an attempt to collect a debt and any info obtained will be used for that. this notice is being sent by a debt collector by 15USC sec 1692.
Exhibit A: Stmt of Security Deposit Acct from Apt Complex
Exhibit B: Tx Apt Association Apt Lease Contract Terms & Conditions. (with my initials contract signed date July 2014). 

Now

Dec 23rd, 2015: A month later, I receive a dunning notice identifying the account.

this notice has been sent by a collection agency. This is an attempt to collect a debt and any info obtained will be used for that purpose. Unless you notify this office within 30 days that you dispute the validity of this debt......blah..blah...blahhhhh...humbbuggggggggg..

Letter dated December 23rd, 2015. 

Acct# xxxxxxx      Amt Due: $646.92  OC: Apartment complex.  www.PaymyFile.com  

Questions:

If they have already responded to my DV, why would another dunning letter be sent a MONTH LATER. 

I do show confirmation of my certified mail delivered as of Nov 24th, 2015. How many days do they have from Nov 24 to respond to TX TFC 392.202.? 30 days or 60 ?

Norman: if they have already responded to validation, why then a dunning letter on Dec 23rd. I believe, Dec 23rd letter needs proper response, just to be on safe side? 

would the response need to be a regular/Normal DV or TX TFC 392.202 validation?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.