Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the best way

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

whats the best way

Hi all,

My secured cards are on their way, I should receive them by the end of this week if not early next week. What's the best way to get them reporting? Should I use both on small purchases? Simply activate them? And how exactly does UTI work. One card has a CL of $200 the other $300. I will looking to get another card soon. 

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: whats the best way

You should use them as much as possible. Use=Bill=Payment=Building payment history.

You want your UTL to be at least below 30%, which would be $60 on your $200 card and $90 on your $300 card. Your UTL should definitely NOT be higher than that when the statement cuts. Preferably you'd have it down to <10% You can keep UTL down by making several payments each month rather than waiting for the bill to be due.

Doing this for 6 months-1 year will really help boost your scores and then later on down the road you can work on getting better, unsecured cards (depending on the rest of your credit profile).

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: whats the best way

As Rousseau31 stated, UTI 30% and lower is a great target. Best scoring seems to happen when cards report 1%-9%. But definitely use them heavy on smaller everyday needs then just use the money, that you would have spent anyways, to pay the card down. Only let one card report a small balance, for best scoring results.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.