Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when charge off falls off

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

when charge off falls off

Hi, I am learning a lot from this forum. I have 3 charge offs I am dealing with. I understand that charge offs fall off 7 years +180 days from the date of the first delinquincy. On my CR it only lists the date the accounts were opened plus the date they were reported. One has reported as recent as last March, but it is older debt. I do not know when the accounts were first delinquent and wonder how a person finds this info? Thank You!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Re: when charge off falls off

You can contact the original creditor of the account, or even the credit bureau to find out.
Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: when charge off falls off

Any party who reports either a charge-off or collection to a CRA is required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to then obtain and report the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA within 90 days after reporting of the CO or collection.   Commericial credit reports usually dont provide the reported DOFD in their credit reports, but it is required to be in your credit file.

Many reports will provide an estimated or expected exclusion date, which is typically around 7 years from the reported DOFD, and can be used to approxiate the reported DOFD, but does not provide the max stautory date after which it MUST become excluded.

You can try either annualcreditreport.com or ordering directly from the CRAs. 

If those reports still do not provide the reported DOFD, you can call the CRA and make an informal request.

If the CRA balks, then final backup is to make a formal request under FCRA 609(a), which permits a consumer to obtain any information of record in their credit file.

Section 609(a) requests must be accompanied by proof of identity and the CRA processing fee, which is currently $11.00.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.