Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when to apply for 2nd tradeline?

tag
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

when to apply for 2nd tradeline?

my mom is 3 years out from a bankruptcy (as of this January). She just got her first credit card since the BK, a $200 secured card from capital one 3 months ago and I also added her as an AU to my capital one card (also $200) since it's my oldest card (opened Oct. 2011) to help her AAoA, which is now 1 year 4 months according to credit karma.

She wants to get the Walmart store card to have another tradeline and also to have access to the free TU fico. Any suggestions on when she should apply? Should she wait until her cap1 card is at least 6 months old? I just don't want her to waste an inq. for no reason since she is trying to rebuild, but she'd also like to get the card asap so it will age with the cap1 and not immediately drop her AAoA way down again!

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: when to apply for 2nd tradeline?

@alyssamarie wrote:

my mom is 3 years out from a bankruptcy (as of this January). She just got her first credit card since the BK, a $200 secured card from capital one 3 months ago and I also added her as an AU to my capital one card (also $200) since it's my oldest card (opened Oct. 2011) to help her AAoA, which is now 1 year 4 months according to credit karma.

She wants to get the Walmart store card to have another tradeline and also to have access to the free TU fico. Any suggestions on when she should apply? Should she wait until her cap1 card is at least 6 months old? I just don't want her to waste an inq. for no reason since she is trying to rebuild, but she'd also like to get the card asap so it will age with the cap1 and not immediately drop her AAoA way down again!

Ok, on AAoA CK does not report it correctly its actually AAoOA (avg age of open accounts) that they report, ignore it,  AAoA is going to be determined by all the OC accounts she has listed on her report including the ones IIB. I would not app until there is 6 months of history reporting on her own Cap-1 card and if she IIb GECRB it is probably not going to be a good idea to app for any of their cards until some unsecured credit of her own is reporting by other OCs.

Message 2 of 3
alyssamarie
Regular Contributor

Re: when to apply for 2nd tradeline?

thanks for the info, I was also thinking it might be best to wait 6 months. 

I didn't know that any accounts IIB would also count towards her AAoA, that's good though I guess because that should make it higher. The only credit card she had that was closed because of the BK was a Target card, which I think they have their own bank for that so hopefully that won't hurt her chances with Walmart! 

Discover It $1k | Chase Freedom $1.2k | Barclay Apple $1.7k | Target $1k |TJX Rewards $1k | Walmart $900 | Macy's $800 | American Eagle $750 | VS $750 | LOFT $500 | Express $350 | Cap1 Sec. $200 |

AU: Amex BCP $5k | Barclaycard Arrival $3k | Amazon Visa $2k | Chase Freedom $2k | Discover It $1.5k

Gardening as of 02/04/14
Current TU FICO 701 | Goal 1: 700✓ met on 2/18/14 | Goal 2: 720

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.