Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who should i goodwill first?

tag
longclimbback
Regular Contributor

who should i goodwill first?

Just checked my report for the first time in months. I have some time off and want to goodwill some old credit cards. I have 2 bads with capital one, 2 with hsbc, and 2 with chase. All of them have multiple lates, but all were more than 5 years ago and all are closed and paid in full. Have 23 months until they all fall off or i can goodwill.Of these 3 companies what is my best bet for goodwill? I don't want to waste time so are there any of these I shouldn't bother with? When I send my letters should I bring up both accounts in the same letter or hope for successand try again later on card #2? I know that 1 card with each was not originally issued by them and was transferred when these big banks gobbled up some smaller ones. Is there any way this will help my cause? Thank you for any help offered.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: who should i goodwill first?

I don't understand - how is sending GW letters so strenuous that you wouldn't just send them to all three?  Is the information so different that you need to compose entirely new letters?  Make the minor changes, pay for the stamp, hit print.  Not in that order.  I'd search the forums for each of those companies.  I think all three are tough, but it's not much of an investment to try.  

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@longclimbback wrote:

Just checked my report for the first time in months. I have some time off and want to goodwill some old credit cards. I have 2 bads with capital one, 2 with hsbc, and 2 with chase. All of them have multiple lates, but all were more than 5 years ago and all are closed and paid in full. Have 23 months until they all fall off or i can goodwill.Of these 3 companies what is my best bet for goodwill? I don't want to waste time so are there any of these I shouldn't bother with? When I send my letters should I bring up both accounts in the same letter or hope for successand try again later on card #2? I know that 1 card with each was not originally issued by them and was transferred when these big banks gobbled up some smaller ones. Is there any way this will help my cause? Thank you for any help offered.

Hello and welcome.

What kind lates are they for each card? Are they all 30 day lates? 60? 90?  The severity of a late payment can make a big difference in the damage it is causing and for how long the damage will continue.

You can certainly try and GW all of them but if you're not looking for credit for the next 23 months you could save some stamps and just wait it out.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

You can try to GW all of them. Late payments that are that old may not have that much impact on your score even if they were removed. If all of them were removed and you have no other late payment issues you might see some increase in your score.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.