Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why did my score drop?

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

why did my score drop?

So i disputed a closed collection account because the balance was showing 1899.00 and i know it was paid,  recived an alert this morning that it was updated and now showing a zero balance but it droped my score 2 points.  Why would it drop?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: why did my score drop?

It is hard to know without seeing the details, but the understanding is Collection Accounts are scored the same regardless of the balance.  So a paid collection is still a collection account and scored as such.  Since the TL just updated, it's likely the scoring model "views" this as a recent collection account.  This is not unusual behavior, though it doesn't make too much logical sense.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 2 of 4
superdad
Regular Contributor

This was a collection account for back child support.

Message 3 of 4
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

you just never know with this credit score thing, theres no telling what makes the score go up or down....all we can do is pay our bills on time and try to get rid of baddies....I was sooo worried the other day because my credit card balance had increased by 250 but to my surprise the darn score went up by 6 points, was it the increase in balance that did it? I have no idea but all i know that was the only thing that changed because the few baddies I have on my report is too old to still be hurting my score any way....just keep doing what you are doing and let the score take care of it self....on-time payments, time, and credit mix seems to be the key...

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.