Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would mailing out checks be pointless?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

would mailing out checks be pointless?

I just set up a checking account...I dont get paid until next week to start seriously paying off all my debt...so my question is if I just sent like $10 today to each creditor would it be beneficial at all?..obviously at the end of this month there will be a significant increase in what i will be paying off to them...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: would mailing out checks be pointless?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just set up a checking account...I dont get paid until next week to start seriously paying off all my debt...so my question is if I just sent like $10 today to each creditor would it be beneficial at all?..obviously at the end of this month there will be a significant increase in what i will be paying off to them...

What are the balances on these accounts ?  Are they revolving accounts ?  If you are going to pay extra it might make sense to pay the higher interest rates first, or the smaller balances.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

ARe the accounts currently delinquent, or are you talking about making more than the min. monthly payment?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are all 120+ past due in collections...

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never just start sending them money, unless it is the full amount owed.  You should contact them first to work out a settlement, or some sort of payment agreement/arrangements.

Message 5 of 8
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

Be careful sending out a check to a collection agency, especially if you don't have an arrangement on the account for payback.  A bank account, depending on your state, is an asset that you can obtain a judgement against and put a freeze on any funds in there.  I used to work at a collection agency, and we would try to get those debtors that had old judgements to just pay anything with a check so we could go out and hit the bank account for the amount that was in there.

By law (depending on your state), if there's a judgement and a garnishment order against a bank account, the bank has no choice in that matter than to pay the amount of the garnishment if available.

My rule of thumb is - if I'm not paying it off completely, I'm not sending them a check.  All money orders.  You can get them for .50 cents at most grocery stores if less than $500.00.

You'll also find most CA don't want you to do that - they want your information so they can input it into the system in case you default, they have an asset to collect a judgement against.  I just paid off a bunch of my bad debt, and one of the folks (Leading Edge Recovery in Chicago) said they wouldn't accept my payment unless I did it over the phone.  I sent a check for the owed amount anyway and wrote "PAID IN FULL" on it, and they accepted it (of course).

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@alexhortdog wrote:

Be careful sending out a check to a collection agency, especially if you don't have an arrangement on the account for payback.  A bank account, depending on your state, is an asset that you can obtain a judgement against and put a freeze on any funds in there.  I used to work at a collection agency, and we would try to get those debtors that had old judgements to just pay anything with a check so we could go out and hit the bank account for the amount that was in there.

By law (depending on your state), if there's a judgement and a garnishment order against a bank account, the bank has no choice in that matter than to pay the amount of the garnishment if available.

My rule of thumb is - if I'm not paying it off completely, I'm not sending them a check.  All money orders.  You can get them for .50 cents at most grocery stores if less than $500.00.

You'll also find most CA don't want you to do that - they want your information so they can input it into the system in case you default, they have an asset to collect a judgement against.  I just paid off a bunch of my bad debt, and one of the folks (Leading Edge Recovery in Chicago) said they wouldn't accept my payment unless I did it over the phone.  I sent a check for the owed amount anyway and wrote "PAID IN FULL" on it, and they accepted it (of course).

+1 to this.  I also would not send a check, even if we had agreed on an amount.  When I did my recent PFDs, I sent cashier's checks.  This has two benefits: guaranteed funds, the CA can't claim a waiting period for it to clear, and they don't have my banking information.  You can also do money orders as alexhortdog pointed out.

Either way, I wouldn't send them small amounts if you don't have an arrangement.  It could just make them harass you more as they see you have some money.  I would wait until you start getting paid and contact them to either settle or set up a payment plan.  Obviously, this is just me, and I am no expert.

Message 7 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree with the above advice about not paying CAs unless you can PIF and also not giving any CA your banking information.  

One more thing to consider is that in some states, partially paying a debt to a CA can reset the debt's SOL ~ you don't want that to happen.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.