cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write goodwill letter to original creditor or to collection agency?

tag
hateAshbury
Regular Contributor

write goodwill letter to original creditor or to collection agency?

I have two accounts that charged off in 2009 (one medical, the other credit card) that I have since settled with the collections agencies. I would like to have these accounts stricken from my credit report, and have drafted a goodwill letter highlighting the difficulties that led to the accounts charging off while acknowledging personal responsibility.

My question is: To whom do I send the letter? The original creditor or the collection agency?

And to what extent does my having settled the debt matter?

thanks

Starting Score: 653 (11/1/2011 TransUnion)
Current Score: 719 (5/3/2012 TransUnion) 572 (3/21/2012 Equifax) 762 (4/14/12 VantageScore)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: write goodwill letter to original creditor or to collection agency?

Send the GW to whomever is reporting. If only the CA reports, send them the GW. If the OC reports, send them the GW. If both report the same debt as paid, then send both a GW. 

I have seen a few rare posts whereby the OC (from what I've seen) made mention of a settled balance vs. one paid in full. However, there are hundreds of posts in here I bet of GW success via sending a GW to a settled OC/CA. I wouldn't worry about it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.