Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong name, wrong address...

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

wrong name, wrong address...

Looking for suggestions/feedback.

After a very long and stressful two weeks, I finally got my paper credit file from Experian.   The one that suddenly had identity issues with me...and that was after my FICO score plummented 100 points and I was told to get off my ass and pay my bills!  (Yeah - ouch.  The other two credit reports are fine...saw those online.  But Experian suddenly required proof of me, etc).

Anyways, there is a collection that just popped on the credit report in the last month.

* I don't know who the company is

* I don't know the date of service (but credit report says it will fall off 09/2013, so I can guess going backwards)

* the CA put a different last name for me on the credit report

* the CA put a different address for me on the credit report

* the CA apparently bought the debt in 11/10 from another CA (United?)

I recognize the address as my x's address.  It's also his last name, not mine.

So, how do I approach this?  My credit report has my correct name and address on it.  I obviously don't want the CA to change the name and the address on their files (which don't match me) to suddenly line up with me.  I own property and definitely don't want liens put on the property!

Many years ago, I had a similar experience with a collection agency.  Wrong name, wrong address and when I proved it to them, they changed their records to make the debt mine.  I didn't pay it, but it stuck on my credit report for 7 yrs.  Smiley Sad

So now I am scared to do this correction again based on what happened years ago.

Ideas?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: wrong name, wrong address...

PS - I don't have any lates and I don't recognize "United".  I work really hard to keep my credit very clean.

I have no idea what this alleged debt is for.

Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

*bump*

Suggestions on how to approach the CA without having them change the person's name and address to match mine?  This is on my CR.  I have no clue what this collection is about.  Any dunning notice would have been sent to another address (not mine).

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Were you still married at the time of service and did you live in a community property state?

Message 4 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Going backwards from the CR fall off date of 09/13, I guess the date it went to collections would be 09/06.  So in theory, DOFD would be 03/06.

In 03/06 we were not living together.   No bills had been forwarded to me.  Not married.  Don't know if VA is a community property state.   For that matter, don't know what the SOL is for cc or written contract is in VA.

The address that was added to my CR is *his* address - not mine.

The new name on the account is a hybrid of *his* name and my name.  So,  my guess is he did the debt, but tried to pass off the liability to me.

So how do I approach the CA about this "debt"?   Years ago, I had a similar situation (debt showed up on my CR but had the wrong name and wrong address).  I disputed it saying it wasn't mine, pointing out the name and the address didn't even match me.  The CA changed the debt to make it fit my name and address.  I am sooo scared to do that again and have the same results.

No dunning letter was received.  Chances are it went to the x's address.

My credit report only had my current and accurate name and address PRIOR to this CA showing up.  Now my CR has his last name and his address showing up.  So I know the wrong information (name and address) are tied to this CA.

Suggestions?

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

VA is not a community property state, I looked it up.

SOL for written contract is 5 years. 

If you know the OC, do a direct dispute with them, FCRA 623.  Be very detailed in why you are disputing and include any documentation.  I would also include in the dispute that you want this removed from your CR since it is not yours.

You can DV the CA.  See what they come up with.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.