tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Clarification on Paid Medical Debts

Hello,

Here are my answers:

Is the med collection on your reports?  Yes

Is it paid or unpaid?  Paid

If paid, who did you pay, the OC (original creditor: doctor, dentist, hospital, etc.) or the CA?   CA

Do you remember the date(s) of treatment?  9/2007

Have you ever disputed the med collection? If yes, when and how?  Yes, I called the CRA and told them it was paid. 

If you did dispute the collection, is it currently marked as "disputed and/or verified" on your report(s)?  "This item was verified, and updated on March 2009"

Have you ever requested debt validation from the CA?  No

Does this mean that I should send this letter and use insert B?

Thank you for your help,

Kristin

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clarification on Paid Medical Debts

Disputes on medical collections should always be made in writting!!!  you should also opt-out with all CRAs first. You need a paper trail on every collection no matter what it is!
Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes on medical collections should always be made in writting!!!  you should also opt-out with all CRAs first. You need a paper trail on every collection no matter what it is!
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I didn't know anything about disputing at that time. :smileysad:  I am writing a Pre-HIPAA Medical Dispute right now regarding a different account.

I am just not sure how to proceed with the paid account.

Also, are there only PO Boxes to send the CRRR mail to?  There isn't anyone at the PO Box to sign for it, right?  (a bit confused on that)

Thanks again!

Kristin

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either the postmast signs OR someone picks up the mail at the PO.  Be sure to handwrite the dispute.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it.  I did hand write the dispute, and I used purple ink.  hee hee

I'll be doing the Opt-Outs once I find my MIA phone. Smiley Surprised

Thanks for all of the help!  Smiley Very Happy 

Message Edited by KristinH on 03-30-2009 11:02 AM
Message 5 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Wait! Please opt-out with the CRAs and your current creditors, and update your addresses before you send out pre-HIPAA dispute letters.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay!  I found my phone a bit ago, and I did not go to the Post Office today.  I will do the Opt-Out first thing in the morning then go to the Post Office later on.  All of my Personal Info is already up-to-date with the CRA's.

Thanks for the great advice!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You're Welcome! Let us know how it goes.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Use this link to opt-out from all of your CURRENT creditors that you're in GOOD standing with. Do not attempt to opt-out with any CAs or current creditors that you're in BAD standing with (i.e. charge-offs, or currently late).OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS"

Just curious, but why is it necessary to do the opt-out's before disputing medical collections?  The opt-out that I quoted above really doesn't seem relevent since you aren't opting out with the company that you're going to dispute with.

Message 9 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I recommend opting-out when restoring your credit. Its not just for med collections, its for other baddies like COs and non-med collections. Opting-out also helps prevent your info from being disclosed to parties who have no business to it. Its more of a preventative measure than anything else.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.