Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Clean-Up Day?

tag
TheRealT
Valued Member

Collections Clean-Up Day?

I moved after going thru a divorce in July.  I checked with everyone I do business with to ensure I didn't owe them any money after I had to sell my house and farm.  Well, apparently I got bad intel from my medical clinic.  Somehow I still had 3 accounts open.  Two of the accounts had a $20.00 balance and one account had a $14.00 balance.  The clinic said they attempted to notify me by mail, but the letters came back.  My phone number never changed, but I won’t go there.  The clinic turned me over to collection for the accounts I listed above.

I found out about the collection when I pulled my credit report trying to judge collateral damage from the divorce.  I went to the clinic and paid them for the three accounts.  I never sent a dime to the collection company.  The collections are still showing as open on my credit report.  I called the collection company and asked them why they were still showing as open collections and unpaid when I had paid off the debt with the clinic.  They checked and stated "yeah, we see that the clinic got paid. It will take about 30 days for the entries on your credit report to show as paid.  Check back again in May."

Is there some way to get these collections removed from my report?  I did owe the money to the clinic, and I did go down there and pay them.  I cannot believe they turned me over to collections after 30 years of business with them for $54.00 total, but that's another story.

If you have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collections Clean-Up Day?

You need to follow the HIPAA process to get these removed.  They are paid and therefore should not be on your report.  Check out the new medical section for the HIPPA info.
Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to follow the HIPAA process to get these removed.  They are paid and therefore should not be on your report.  Check out the new medical section for the HIPPA info.
Message 2 of 5
TheRealT
Valued Member

Thank you for the response.  I have read the HIPPA section and have a partial understanding of what to do next.  I have one question, though.

The CA has not posted the accounts as PAID on my CR even thought  they are.  Do I need to wait until they show as PAID before I start?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No you do not have to wait until they say they are paid. Start the HIPAA process and the medicals that are paid should be deleted from your CR.
Message Edited by Harpo on 04-07-2009 01:23 PM
Message 4 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Harpo!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.