Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From "800 club" to "OMG" in a couple of days

tag
raisitup
Valued Member

From "800 club" to "OMG" in a couple of days

Well, some of you may remember my post a few days ago regarding my entry into the 800 club....the celebration was short-lived.

I had planned on purchasing a replacement for my 99 Dodge Durango with 160 million miles on it and figured I was going to get the best interest rate from my credit union. I filled out the loan request online and had to call them today to find out what was up. They told me they couldn't approve yet because I had my Experian locked. OK, no problem, I unlock it and call back, they run again and tell me I have an adverse account! WHAT???? My EQ is 804, this can't be!? Oh, it be, they said. So they did approve but offered a rate a point and a half above what I should've gotten. No thanks, off to annualcreditreport.com.

So I pull my EX and sure enough there it is: a $735 "in collection" bill from what I later found out to be an ambulance company. I sit in incredulity until I snap out of it and call the 800 number. I fully expected the collection people to be jerks and they did not disappoint. I got the crucial info I needed from the first guy before he got testy, I gave him my name and social (probably a mistake) and he "verified' my address....right street number and name, he said it was a "St.", it's a "Rd.", and he said it was "Major city X" and it was "Y - smaller, suburb to Major city X". I told him that was the first problem right there but gave no specifics. He gave me the ring around the debtor speech and basically wanted me to pay, I told him I was just finding out about this debt (it's a legitimate debt in that I took an ambulance ride, had a hospital stay and paid many bills, but this one in particular had a wrong address and I had never seen a bill) and that I needed to make sure I protect myself. He blathered for a bit then said he could no longer help me and that his supervisor would come on. She was peachy at first but when I told her I had no problem with paying the bill but I needed to protect my credit she got testy, at the end telling me she was going to note on the account that I was "uncooperative". Meh.

So, here I sit. I have the credit agency, the collection agency and found the ambulance service. I've done some searching but quite frankly I'm so steamed i can't make heads or tails of the best way to proceed. I'm sure I want to dispute, but to whom do I go first? Ambulance service for them to document the address they have on file for me? Straight to all three with certified letters? Help........

Ryan
On the road back to 800
6/18/2013 EQ 690
10/30/2012 Short Sale!
4/17/2009 EQ 804!
7/5/2008 TU 758, EQ 760, EX 776
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: From "800 club" to "OMG" in a couple of days

Shall I move this thread to the medical debt board.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel your pain.  I had a $31 medical collection hit my EQ CR out of nowhere....took my score from 806 to 689.  Took 3 months of hell to fix it....which happene to be erroneously billed and the CA wasn't bonded in Texas. 
Message 3 of 14
raisitup
Valued Member

Yes, never saw the medical forum, I think maybe the thread should go there.

Ryan
On the road back to 800
6/18/2013 EQ 690
10/30/2012 Short Sale!
4/17/2009 EQ 804!
Message 4 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I have a few questions and one concern. When was this ambulance ride? Have you checked your other two reports? Have you read the medical collections and HIPAA letter process link in my sig line?

Now for my concern. Never talk with a CA, keep everything in writing. Since you can pay this in full if you have to, I would use the HIPAA process. Please ask any questions you may have before you begin the process.

Message 5 of 14
raisitup
Valued Member

The ambulance ride was in August of 2006. I had plenty of other bills along the way and paid all of them.

I get score alerts from EQ, I assume there are no negatives since my score is high.

I have not, but will. I don't fully understand what it accomplishes but hopefully some reading will get me there.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Ryan

EDIT: I read the part about not discussing with the CA. The CA rep did ask me if I took an ambulance ride during that time frame and I answered in the affirmative. I also told him the address was wrong but did not give a corrected address. That's the extent of the information I provided, if that changes my situation let me know.

It appears I need to do the two opt-outs (question: what ancilliary effects will this have?), my info is updated already (I assume this means address/city/state/etc., and then send the pre-HIPAA letter to the CRAs (I know EQ is clean, I'll have to check TU). Does that all sound right so far?

Ryan
Message Edited by raisitup on 04-20-2009 10:26 PM
On the road back to 800
6/18/2013 EQ 690
10/30/2012 Short Sale!
4/17/2009 EQ 804!
Message 6 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

At first many people have trouble understanding how the HIPAA process works. Please ask questions, so you really know what's going on.
Message 7 of 14
raisitup
Valued Member

I read the part about not discussing with the CA. The CA rep did ask me if I took an ambulance ride during that time frame and I answered in the affirmative. I also told him the address was wrong but did not give a corrected address. That's the extent of the information I provided, if that changes my situation let me know.

It appears I need to do the two opt-outs (question: what ancilliary effects will this have?), my info is updated already (I assume this means address/city/state/etc., and then send the pre-HIPAA letter to the CRAs (I know EQ is clean, I just confirmed TU has the negative entry. is it a matter of time before EQ gets it?). Does that all sound right so far?

Thanks,
Ryan
On the road back to 800
6/18/2013 EQ 690
10/30/2012 Short Sale!
4/17/2009 EQ 804!
Message 8 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Opting-out helps prevent CRAs from sharing your personal info with third patries, and it also prevents third parties from acquiring your personal info and using it against you. This is a perfectly legal and ethical means to assist you in restoring your credit. Its possible that EQ will report this med collection too. EQ is usually the last CRA to update, for me at least. If all three of your reports are clean except for this med collection (depending on what happens with EQ), it won't be necessary for you to opt-out with your creditors, but you should still opt-out with the CRAs.
Message 9 of 14
raisitup
Valued Member

OK, I did the Opt-out for the CRAs. My CRs are completely clean except for this medical item on my EX and TU reports, and I just confirmed there is no entry on EQ. I've pulled all three now.

My personal info is accurate on all of my reports.

The next step is the pre-HiPAA letter. I'll use the template from the post in your sig. A couple of questions:

1. Why teal, and why handwritten?
2. It says if the record is deleted I'm done, couldn't the record come back if the account is still outstanding?

Once I do this I wait the 35 days and should have some response that fits one of the three scenarios (hopefully). Does this have me on the right track so far?

Question on scenario #1, if I'm only sending the pre-HIPAA to the CRA, how would the CA give a complete and accurate validation?

Thanks again, I think I'm getting the hang of it.
Ryan
On the road back to 800
6/18/2013 EQ 690
10/30/2012 Short Sale!
4/17/2009 EQ 804!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.