Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - I just received a Medical Collection on MyFico

tag
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Help - I just received a Medical Collection on MyFico

Hi. I received a score watch alert saying that my score dropped to 586! Smiley Sad Considering that in February it was 653 (my score dropped to 630 after I applied for new credit) you can imagine how devastating I am. It's for a hospital visit back in 2007. I've been trying to contact the OC since January to pay them back. I told them that I moved and asked if they could send the bill to my new address. I was told constantly that they mailed it but never received anything. Now they have sent it off to a CA and it's ruining my credit because, what the score report says: 

• You have a public record or collection in addition to a serious delinquency on your credit report.
  • You have a short credit history.
  • You’ve recently missed a payment or the date of your most recent missed payment is unknown.
  • You have a recent public record or collection on your credit report.

What do I do now? I know that if I pay the Collection Agency this will stay on my report for 7 years. How do I get rid of it quickly? I don't want my recent creditor to know because then they will decrease my CL or worse, close my acct. 

Message Edited by angelzrfree on 05-03-2009 09:31 PM
Hey look ma! I’m finally in the 700 club.

March 2020 - (EX) 730 (EQ) 707 (TU) 702

January 2023 - (EX) 772 (EQ) 789 (TU) 789
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Re: Help - I just received a public record on MyFico

Sorry I forgot to answer some questions:

Is the collection paid or unpaid? Unpaid

If unpaid, can you PIF? Yes

If paid, who did you pay, the OC or the CA?

Is the collection for a hospital or a doctor’s bill? Hospital

Who is reporting it? CA

How old is the collection (DOFD = date of medical service)? 9/1/2007

Which letters have you written, to whom, when and were they sent CMRRR and in what order? I haven't written anything. I don't know what to do.

Message 2 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I just want to make sure you have an unpaid med collection and NOT an unpaid public record. Your thread title says you have a med public record, but the info in your post says otherwise. The rules for each are entirely different.
Message 3 of 12
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Oh ok. Yes this is a Medical Collection. Can I go to the OC and see if they'll PFD?

Message 4 of 12
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Re: Help - I just received a Medical Collection on MyFico

Ok I did the first half of Step # 1. How do I find the addresses for the opt-out for my current creditors?

Message 5 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Use the addresses on your account statements.
Message 6 of 12
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Thanks fused. You're being really helpful. So tomorrow I am sending out the letters to the CRA('s) on personalized stationary written in teal blue ink and my current CCCs. Do I also have to send letters to my student loan lenders?

Message 7 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Finish the opting out first, then do the pre-HIPAA letters. You should opt-out with all creditors you're in good standing with. This includes CCCs, banks if you have CCs or loans with them, mortgage lenders and auto creditors.
Message 8 of 12
angelzrfree
New Contributor

Ok. So once my creditors write me and let me know that they're opting out I send the pre-HIPAA letter? On average how long does the whole process take? I'm leaving the country in August and won't be back until late December? Will it be done by then?

Message 9 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Once you send out the opt-out letters, wait five before you send of your pre-HIPAA letters. Their is no average time with the HIPAA letter process. For some it takes a week or two, while for others it can take many months.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.