cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-HIPAA Response from Experian

tag
Bsmoke

Pre-HIPAA Response from Experian

Today I received a letter response from Experian after sending them a pre-HIPAA letter (handwritten and such).  It reads the following:

"""Dear (my name):

If you question the results of our investigation, then you may want to contact the data furnisher directly.  Please refer to your original personal credit report for the business name, address, and phone number (if available) of the source that verified the information.

Sincerely,

Experian"""

It lists a report number and date at the top of the letter, but absolutely nothing else of interest.  What exactly does this mean?  Is it supposed to infer that the investigation is in process, or is it trying to tell me that they're not going to deal with it?  I looked the report number up on Experian's site to see if anything came up, and the site didn't even recognize the number.  Please help, thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pre-HIPAA Response from Experian

The letter means EX has verified the collection. Its really stupid how they say it in such a roundabout way. Check your EX report to see if the collection is marked as disputed and verified.

Is the collection reporting as paid or unpaid?

When did EX receive your pre-HIPAA dispute letter?

Has the CA sent you validation of this debt since your dispute was received by EX?

Message 2 of 12
Bsmoke

P.S. The CR for Experian shows the account sent to collection, but paid and closed.  It is reported by the CA.  It was paid by Workmen's Comp about a month after it was sent to collection (thank you Workmen's Comp).
Message 3 of 12
Bsmoke

No, I have not received validation from the CA, but I just received the letter from Experian today, and they only received my pre-HIPAA letter about a week ago.  Here's the entry in the CR:

ACCOUNT SRVS CLCTNS, INC Address: 
1802 NE LOOP 410 STE 400
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78217
No phone number available
Account Number:
(acct #) Original Creditor:
ST MARY S MED CENTER

Address Identification Number:
(AI#)
  Date Opened:
03/2006 Reported Since:
04/2006 Date of Status:
05/2006 Last Reported:
05/2006 Type:
Collection Terms:
1 Months Monthly Payment:
$0 Responsibility:
Individual Credit Limit/Original Amount:
$283 High Balance:
NA Recent Balance:
NA Recent Payment:
NA Account History:
Collection as of Apr 2006

Message Edited by Bsmoke on 03-23-2009 10:31 PM
Message Edited by Bsmoke on 03-23-2009 10:31 PM
Message 4 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Look closely at your EX report, do you see any notation indicating you disputed this med collection and EX verfied it.?
Message 5 of 12
Bsmoke

This was the report that I used to dispute from that I'm looking at.  The report # on the letter I received does not work on EX's site.  When I use the CR# to check the dispute, I get this message:

"""Either you have not recently requested an investigation and there is no investigation pending, or some of the items that are being investigated may not appear until later because they required additional processing."""

Am I going to need to pay for another CR in order to check the status?  This was my free one.

Message 6 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry but you might have to buy a new EX report from their site.
Message 7 of 12
Bsmoke

That's alright, thanks.  Just wanted to make sure that's what I need to do before I spend the money.  Thanks for replying to my posts so quickly.
Message 8 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

No problem! Let us know!
Message 9 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.