Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i have really screwed up?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have really screwed up?

Ok before i really understood the Hipaa process and before i had read this form i knew a little bit about the Hipaa laws. I had called the medical group and pretty much threatened the Administrator to remove my past paid accounts from the CRA well that didnt go over well because i got a nasty phone call from the Administrator saying that they had not broken any of the Hipaa laws and that if i had any other contact with them that i would be sued......lol  i got a cease and desist over the phone on a voice mail so i kind of gave up...

How would i go about disputing this from the CA? it is paid back in 5/2008 the thing is the bills are not for me they are for my wife and daughter and i paid these before getting all of the facts from the CA because they were both under $150. Is it to late to do anything at this point?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: i have really screwed up?

The OC threatened to sue you on what grounds?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have really screwed up?

He wasn't very clear, I am very sure it was a threat, I was not threatening in any way just persistent that the CRA is not a business associate and that they have no right to my Protected health Information especially after this has been a paid account. I think he was just annoyed that I was being persistent. The threat came after I had tried to get an itemized statement from there billing office.
Message 3 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

You can use the HIPAA letter process. Don't be confused about the issue of PHI. The CRAs do not share your PHI, its the OC who shares your PHI with third-party collectors (aka business associates).
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

so where should i start in the process?
Message 5 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the first few steps in the HIPAA letter process.

Step #1: Opt Out of two things: Your Credit Reports and All Creditors. The first one ensures that the CRAs will not sell your personal data to anyone else (haha…no more data mining). The second one will prevent JDBs (and CAs) from buying and selling bogus collections.

Use this link to opt-out of your credit reports

OPT-OUT CREDIT REPORTS (or call 1.888.567.8688)

Use this link to opt-out from all of your CURRENT creditors that you're in GOOD standing with. Do not attempt to opt-out with any CAs or current creditors that you're in BAD standing with (i.e. charge-offs, or currently late).

OPT-OUT ALL CREDITORS

Step #2: Also, be sure to update your personal information with the CRA's before attempting to reestablish your credit.

Step #3: Send the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRA ('s) CM (no RR, this is the only letter in the HIPAA process where you will not send it CMRRR) and wait up to 35 days for the results of the their investigation(s). Be sure to handwrite this letter (and the envelop too) using personalized stationary and teal blue ink. If your med collection is deleted, you're finished.

PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i have done step 1 and 2 waiting time, i have a question though and i havent been able to find the answer why do we opt out does this help the hipaa process?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

also completed step 3
Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

It helps to prevent CAs from sharing you private health information with other CAs. This is especially true with older med collections.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.