cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A crush on someone, and feeling you aren't good enough because of your financial problems.

tag

A crush on someone, and feeling you aren't good enough because of your financial problems.

This feels awkward...since most of these posts are about ACTUAL relationships.

But I have a crush on a guy right now who as far as I know has one car loan. I work with him. I dont think he has tons of cc debt, though I guess you really never know. But I've always seen him use a debit card.

I feel like he would be really disgusted by all my student loans (he didn't go to college) and my cc debt. I feel as if he would find it a huge turnoff, and would never want to date me. It makes me feel very ashamed. Sometimes I think he might like me, but he might run for the hills if he knew I had nearly $47k (you read that right) in student loans, and $1600 in cc debt. : (

Has anyone here dealt with debt, loans, and feeling like someone would reject you because of crappy finances?

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: A crush on someone, and feeling you aren't good enough because of your financial problems.

@triedtogetacardandcouldnt wrote:

This feels awkward...since most of these posts are about ACTUAL relationships.

But I have a crush on a guy right now who as far as I know has one car loan. I work with him. I dont think he has tons of cc debt, though I guess you really never know. But I've always seen him use a debit card.

I feel like he would be really disgusted by all my student loans (he didn't go to college) and my cc debt. I feel as if he would find it a huge turnoff, and would never want to date me. It makes me feel very ashamed. Sometimes I think he might like me, but he might run for the hills if he knew I had nearly $47k (you read that right) in student loans, and $1600 in cc debt. : (

Has anyone here dealt with debt, loans, and feeling like someone would reject you because of crappy finances?

Haven't had your situation, but $1600 isn't that much in CC debt.  Have you graduated?  If you haven't what about applying and at least getting your AA.  Anyway what interest rate are you paying on your student loans?  If you're interest is too high, there's a bill before Congress to allow you to reduce the rate.  

In the mean time, remember people spend just as much money for a 4-6 year car loan and they have nothing to show for it in the end.  Your education has value even if you haven't completed your studies.  If you have completed your studies, it's worth even more.  As long as you're responsible with your debt, it won't be a turn off.  Just get to know him and let him get to know you.  Good luck.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 19
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: A crush on someone, and feeling you aren't good enough because of your financial problems.

I generally find if the guy is attracted to you he doesn't care about anything else, at least initally. So ask him out and get to know him. No regrets in life, so ask him out or you'll wonder "what if"

Message 3 of 19
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

I generally find if the guy is attracted to you he doesn't care about anything else, at least initally. So ask him out and get to know him. No regrets in life, so ask him out or you'll wonder "what if"

This.  Further, one's financial situation is not a topic until things might get serious anyway.

Message 4 of 19

Oh, and there's my bankruptcy. I'm sure he'll find that very attractive.

I realize that it's not something to get into until things are serious, but many people don't even want to date someone with financial problems in the first place.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 5 of 19
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

I realize that it's not something to get into until things are serious, but many people don't even want to date someone with financial problems in the first place.

I think the fact that you are trying to get everything in order and working on improving your financial situation mutes a lot of the bad from the past. What you did then only matters now if you aren't trying to make it better.

Ask him lunch and keep it cheap lol

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 6 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

I think the fact that you are trying to get everything in order and working on improving your financial situation mutes a lot of the bad from the past. What you did then only matters now if you aren't trying to make it better.

Ask him lunch and keep it cheap lol

+1 I could care less 

The only time Finances matter is if the person isn't attempting to fix it imo. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 7 of 19
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

As previously said, it's too early in the dating game for someone to care about finances.   Also, I think what matters more is the drive to improve yourself.  I respect those who are doing everything they can to get themselves out of a hole (no matter how deep the hole) and when they show discipline in their everyday life.  

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 8 of 19
MrCrabs
Regular Contributor

I have never questioned a females finances that I was dating, That is stuff that comes up way later in a relationship when it's very serious. So I would forget all about that and just get to know him better first and have fun! For all you know he only uses debit card because his credit sucks and he can't get a credit card!

Capital One Platinum | $1,500Discover IT | $1,800Victoria's Secret Angel VIP | $500Citi Secured | $200
Message 9 of 19
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Oh, and there's my bankruptcy.

Smiley Indifferent The future house payment would sky rocket.  I ask for a social security on my first date. 

jk dont take me serious lol... My seriousness level is on my forum avatars face..

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.