cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very foolish friend... Is he screwed?

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: A very foolish friend... Is he screwed?

Problem is, you can't really save them. You can only hope they save themselves.

I've learned from personal experience with other men that I've "coached" financially in the past. Surprisingly, it wasn't the single men that were easiest to coach, it was the men with the wives that were on the same page. But of course, there were those with the women like the one in this post, that well, just makes them uncoachable. You have to just hope they snap out of it at some point, or at least be willing to support them emotionally even if they do repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 21 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ LIGHTNIN,

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools". Smiley Happy

I love women too much to blame them for my own weakness, LOL! In every disaster I've sen the man still should have grown a pair and said no.

My friend is a nice guy, just weak. No amount of advice will change that. He was at the house going on about how unfair the situation and what a bad person she was. I asked "How can you bame her for your being stupid?".

If given another house, tomorrow, he'd do the same thing again. In his mind, it was a display of sincerity despite the fact that there hadn't been any sex for the year leading up to when she suggested he move out. To be fair; he's stupid, too! Smiley Happy He didn't even cringe when she paid off all credit card debt and a new car out of the home equity loan, LOL!

Was joking with my girlfriend about the matter. Said I should find a sugar-momma to pay off all my credit cards and student loans. Only one of us laughed, LOL! She's really gotta lighten up!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 30
casmith1980
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@ LIGHTNIN,

"It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools". Smiley Happy

I love women too much to blame them for my own weakness, LOL! In every disaster I've sen the man still should have grown a pair and said no.

My friend is a nice guy, just weak. No amount of advice will change that. He was at the house going on about how unfair the situation and what a bad person she was. I asked "How can you bame her for your being stupid?".

If given another house, tomorrow, he'd do the same thing again. In his mind, it was a display of sincerity despite the fact that there hadn't been any sex for the year leading up to when she suggested he move out. To be fair; he's stupid, too! Smiley Happy He didn't even cringe when she paid off all credit card debt and a new car out of the home equity loan, LOL!

Was joking with my girlfriend about the matter. Said I should find a sugar-momma to pay off all my credit cards and student loans. Only one of us laughed, LOL! She's really gotta lighten up!

I just LOL at work.  I tell this to my husband all the time (about needing a sugar daddy)  He finds no humor in that statement.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 23 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

I just LOL at work.  I tell this to my husband all the time (about needing a sugar daddy)  He finds no humor in that statement.

Someone concerned about my happiness and financial well-being should be all for the sugar-momma plan.

It's not like she can't find another BF. Geez! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Females and getting you in financial trouble. Reminds me of the last relationship I got out of a little over a year ago. I didn't get in financial trouble but oh what could have been.

We met my last year of college on opposite ends. I was just finishing up and graduating, she was just starting. We had been hanging out for a few months, going out to dinner, movies, walks in the park, etc then Valentines day comes along and I send her a text message asking her if she is ready to see the movie black swan, we had already been making plans for a few weeks. She responds "I don't think my boyfriend would like that Smiley Happy"

I was floored. Smiley Surprised Smiley Sad

What n' the world just happened? I haven't talked to her since then of course because I have no time for anyone who will screw me over like that/comittment issues. My best guess is it was an old boyfriend that wanted her back and she jumped at the opportunity. I didn't delete her off my friends on facebook and i am glad I didnt because it has been amusing. She seems to have comittment issues, will regularly post about how happy she is with her "babe", then a month or so later post about how guys are such jerks and that she just got out of a relationship and can't find a good guy, etc (Despite the fact she used to have someone, me, that was looking forward to moving ahead in life, start a career, family, perfectly comitted, etc)

In any case she has roomates and is barely struggling to keep up with her share of the rent and bills from what I gather from her posts. Works part time at a fast food stand in the mall, is always looking for more/other better jobs, but a few months ago was on this quest and said she really wanted a brand new Ford mustang bad but couldn't get anyone to co sign for her and was actually asking in the facebook post right there if anyone would co sign so she can get her brand spanking new spiffy 2012 or 2013 Ford Mustang or whatever.

Woah, co sign for someone who can barely make current living expenses Man Embarassed At the time we broke up I was quite heartbroken, mostly because I could have had other options for valentines day dates but of course never looked because I considered myself "taken", once I am in a relationship I do not look elsewhere, only to be dumped right then, but now that I look back on it she did me a huge favor. She is going to mess someone gullible up financially something bad one of these days. Smiley Surprised

Especially after reading the horror stories around here about co signing I will never co sign for anyone ever. With my future kids I will help them to take out a secured card and teach them how to use it responsibly so they can use their own credit for things. Future wife I dont know, I plan on buying all cars used, and with cash. Only financing I plan on ever having after my student loans is a mortgage which I dont know about co signing on a mortgage but with a wife I have the belief that we are basically one entity. Whats mine is yours and yours is mine, so the mortgage will be a joint application. Anything else like if she wants a new car and financing, she is on her own with that. I will pay the down payment, but if she really wants a brand new car with financing the payments are all on her. I think that is a good plan.

Message 25 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Dada,

Why are you checking Facebook or whatever on an ex?

Message 26 of 30
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@dada,

Ha, I can smell a FB novice a mile away. So with Facebook, you don't actually have to stalk anybody. As soon as you log in, Facebook gives you a summary of what your friends have posted or said since you last logged in. One of the many reasons I gave up Facebook.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 27 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

LOL@ AF!

I'm not a fan of social media type stuff and don't participate.

Message 28 of 30
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@drkaje wrote:

@dada,

Wait, isn't that what FB was made for ?!!??!   Smiley Happy

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 29 of 30
drkaje
Senior Contributor

LOL@ PD!

When I'm done with a woman, I'm done. I'll recycle cans, paper, batteries, or even cell phones, but not people.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.