Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mom as an AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding Mom as an AU

Hey Everybody,

Here I am today with my mother asking to be placed as an AU on my accounts. I don’t mind doing it, I told her I won’t allow her to actually use the cards and she was fine with that as she just wanted help in fixing her credit. When I got her permission to enter her info on Credit Karma she is in worst shape then I would have thought. She has over 20 late payments and 3 Collections totally 2,500. Will adding her as an AU really help? She hasn't had a cc for about 4-5 years. Thanks Guys!

Edit: Shared a bit too much....so long story short

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Adding Mom as an AU

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Everybody,

Here I am today with my mother asking to be placed as an AU on my accounts. I don’t mind doing it, I told her I won’t allow her to actually use the cards and she was fine with that as she just wanted help in fixing her credit. When I got her permission to enter her info on Credit Karma she is in worst shape then I would have thought. She has over 20 late payments and 3 Collections totally 2,500. Will adding her as an AU really help? She hasn't had a cc for about 4-5 years. Thanks Guys!

Getting an open revolving account on her reports should help somewhat even as an AU, as FICO likes to see several open revolving accounts.

However the newest FICO score models ( FICO08 and newer ) don't always factor in AU accounts so you won't see much impact on those score models.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Yes it may help, especially if you have a CapOne that is in good standing, adding that to her report will put her on their radar and will quite possibly get her an pre-selected invite in a few months. 

Remeber that paying off debt is not the way to fix a credit report, either get an agreement to PFD, or let it age off in its own time, unless she is AP'ing for a house and/or car loan. Paid debt doesn't help FICO scores. 

Write good will letters to get lates removed. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Everybody,

Put her under your one of your Amex account. 

1. She will have an independent account

2. You are allowed to set spending limits for her. You could put $100/month or less. 

3. If she is not being responsible, Amex could chase after her. So, make her worry about something at least. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to do the exact same thing. I want to add my mom as an AU in my AMEX ED card, but she has a few baddies on her report. It may sound like a stupid question. but would that affect me and my credit in any way? 

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I want to do the exact same thing. I want to add my mom as an AU in my AMEX ED card, but she has a few baddies on her report. It may sound like a stupid question. but would that affect me and my credit in any way? 

Her credit wont affect yours in any way, what she does with the AU card will unless you dont plan on giving her the card itself.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.