cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed: When to Have the "Finance" Talk?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Needed: When to Have the "Finance" Talk?

Finances affect all aspects of relationships, on some level. That being said; a person in love will live with you under a bridge... they just need to know how to pack in advance. Smiley Happy

I agree, see my post about sharing the couch in the fifth wheel...  it was me, him and my daughter, and the weenie dog on a 10 yr old fold out fifth wheel couch bed.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have waited until late in the relationship in times past to talk finances, and found out the hard way that me and the s/o at the time had very different views on credit, money, etc.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been happily married for 8 years with two children and have yet to have the "Finance" talk.  Our key to happiness is that we both keep our own bank accounts and manage them accordingly.  I don't think we even discussed finances during the 5 years we dated prior to marriage. 

Message 23 of 25
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

We had the dreaded "talk" as soon as we planned to move in together (18 month mark). Once the relationship hits a serious point, serious discussions need to be had. In my opinion, money is one of the most important factors of a successful relationship. The top reason of divorce is financial issues :/ . Remember to always take care of yourself and finances first! 

Besides, Im sure he is wondering about the talk too. Its the responsible thing to do so feelings shouldnt come in the mix.. 

Good luck =) and congratualtions on a happy, successful relationship!

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 24 of 25
compassion101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been happily married for 8 years with two children and have yet to have the "Finance" talk.  Our key to happiness is that we both keep our own bank accounts and manage them accordingly.  I don't think we even discussed finances during the 5 years we dated prior to marriage. 

How do you work out who pays the bills when they come in? Certainly you had to have some sort of talk to reach that conclusion, no?

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.