Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost two years later, 4 years since my divorce

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost two years later, 4 years since my divorce

I was just going to revive my old thread, but looks like it's been archived LOL. I joined this forum a couple years after my divorce - I was at the point of finally being able to start recovering my credit, but it was still a very slow process. I paid off the last of the debt consolidation, and began to get my career moving forward.

At this point, i'm still a long ways from the end, but I'm to a point where I can live with things. Some of the steps along the way thus far have included career focus and progression which has, at this point, resulted in a 207.5% wage increase. I finally was able to rent my own small place, giving myself some good rental history (been here just over a year now). I've had to take out a couple personal loans, one of which I used to pay off the bike I had taken over payments on, and the other to get the down payment and move costs for the rental house. Not ideal by any stretch, but again, it's building good payment history.

Last month I was approved for financing on a new race bike - on my own, no cosigner. Not the best interest rates, of course, but I qualified all on my own. By the time spring rolls around, I'll have paid off a few things, including at least one of the personal loans. Due to putting so many things off for several years, there's been some amount of catch up going on. For example, I hadn't purchased any new clothes in years. Things were wearing out, looking bad, and some were downright dingy. I've had to rebuild my wardrobe a few pieces at a time. I've been able to eat healthier as well, and have gotten fit again. My cheap get-me-through vehicle that I had paid cash for needed to be replaced (still got another get-me-through vehicle, but more reliable than what I had).

Not going to pretend that I'm done with it, but things have finally gotten to a point where I can live with it. There's still work to do, and there's still plenty to pay off, but making payments is no longer an issue. Emergencies aren't a problem. I don't have to worry about needing a new tire or some other emergency repair or vet bill. I have money available in some form, not always in savings, but I don't have to worry about getting to work the next day, either. In fact, I just broke my leg last month, and paying the medical bills hasn't been reatlly stressful at all - NOT something I would have said a year or two ago!

Just hoping some other folks can get some hope from realizing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It won't be easy, and it won't be quick, but things CAN get better.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Almost two years later, 4 years since my divorce

Sounds amazing to here 

Bravo and keep up the good work 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Been there, still there?  Life continues on.  

Bet those new clothes feel great!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your progress! 

They say divorce is right up there with some of the most distressing experiences In life. Right up there the loss of a loved one in death. 

The fact that your getting your financial life together is a huge testament to your commitment to yourself.

When I went through my divorce back in 2005, various segments of my life down spiraled For a few years. It was a rough period to say the least of it. I whisk I would have had your tenacity! 10+ years later, things couldn't be better For me!😄

Keep up the good work, and congratulations again, on your achievements!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 4 of 8
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on EVERYTHING, but especially on the good mindset you've cultivated!

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job!! Keep it up.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good. Life goes on and on!!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very inspirational for me. Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.