Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone see any risk here?

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Anyone see any risk here?

Thanks for the replies and I knew you guys would set my mind to reason.  My credit means a lot to me as ya'll know, as it is to all of us.

So the prepaid Visas........You can just keep putting money on it and spending it?  Is there a limit to how much can go on there?  What if it gets lost?  That doesn't sound like such a grand plan to me.  He works concrete and when he works prevailing wage he can make some money.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 11 of 21
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I think that some of the pre~paid cards may actually offer loss protection, but not all ~ also as I'm sure you're aware there might be some limits and there are plenty of fees to go around. I'm sure that others will have some good suggestions for specific cards.

It's not ideal but it is a much better choice than him either carrying around $4,000 in his pockets or stuffed in a mattress or creating a scenario where your credit could be placed in jeopardy.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 12 of 21
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Pizza!  I agree - I think he's just going to have to bite the bullet and get a credit check.  He said yesterday he liked Bank of the Cascades as they always cash his payroll checks and are super nice......We'll see if he got an account there. 

I changed my brother's last name last week, and our county sent me a letter a couple days after court just letting me know that a judgment was entered.  So at least we will get a letter from the court, if a judgment gets entered, if we don't hear from the CA first.

Message 13 of 21
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Booner72 wrote:

Thanks, Pizza!  I agree - I think he's just going to have to bite the bullet and get a credit check.  He said yesterday he liked Bank of the Cascades as they always cash his payroll checks and are super nice......We'll see if he got an account there. 

I changed my brother's last name last week, and our county sent me a letter a couple days after court just letting me know that a judgment was entered.  So at least we will get a letter from the court, if a judgment gets entered, if we don't hear from the CA first.

I hope that it works out well for him ~ keep us posted !   And the one good thing I see out of this situation is that at least he seems to be wanting your help, so hopefully this will lead to independence and good financial decision making....or at least a few baby steps in that direction...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 14 of 21
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hopefully so.

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you thought of mentiining to him to get a reloadable visa/mastercard? Some allow up to 10k on the card. No credit check nor overdraft fees. It simply wouldnt allow a transaction go thru.
Message 16 of 21
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned here so I will mention it... Irs gets notices from banks if a client deposits more than 10k in cash. The Irs could come after you for.failing to claim this cash as income. Also the bank has procedures for making sure they aren't depositing illegal money. Nothing says illegal more than you walking in and depositing thousands in cash.... something to think about
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 17 of 21
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

As a previously crappy, sometimes shady dude, and 10 years removed from it, I can tell you this:

PREPAID VISA CARDS - DO IT!

It was the first thing that I used in order to get myself out of the cash only rut, and into the idea that I could manage my money better. Yeah, you have to pay a little to load them, but you get online interfaces that almost, just almost make you feel like a normal human being. You are able to see your accounts online, you are able to track.

It isn't a solution for everyone, but I think in your brothers case, this is the best solution; for now.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 18 of 21
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I have to put a plug in for the AMEX Prepaid card- which I've been using to pay my cable bill for seven months now and no, I haven't gotten an invite to app for the zync. And no, they haven't even SP me yet. But that is just by the way.

The card is FREE. There are no fees. You can load it by buying a card at Walmart (or a bank account) and you can buy the card for your brother and load the funds for him.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 19 of 21
FrugalRican
Blogger

@webhopper wrote:
 Also the bank has procedures for making sure they aren't depositing illegal money. Nothing says illegal more than you walking in and depositing thousands in cash.... something to think about

They do, but it's not the act of depositing $11,000 in cash that makes it suspicious.

It's when you tell a person the "why" and then they decide they want to deposit $9,000 instead.

But I've seen plenty of people who sell a car, or property, or other things that make that one-time deposit and have a valid reason for doing so.

But I've also seen people who will deposit $9,990 each time and that's definite grounds for a Suspicious Activity Report, which is just as bad.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.