Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America + Driver's License

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Bank of America + Driver's License

Always good to have a local bank account - or two.

I reread this thread.  At the time I wrote it, BA's policy of recording DL info and requiring a DL's for a cash deposit just blew my mind.

I learned about potential money laundering.  That was something I had not thought of.

Update on that relative - turned out that they didn't need the money. (Argh!)  And have not asked me for money since.

Message 11 of 22
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Its a good policy until you realize only people with legit money are going to be bothered by the bank and people who can launder money never really deposit money using proper means.
Message 12 of 22
txbusted
Contributor

USAA FSB has been doing this for a while. I would say at least 2 years. 

myFICO's : EQ: 643 // TU: 635// EXP:645

WALLET: Victoria Secret $650 | Simply Be $850 | BOA Cash Rewards $300 I Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $4k |Chase Freedom $2.2k l Full Beauty $450 l Woman Within $450 l Wayfair $1.2k l Citi Double Cash $700 l Game Stop $300l Overstock $1K l Lane Bryant $300 l Ulta $750 l Walmart $700 l Target Red $1k
Amazon Chase $1k l Kohls $300
Message 13 of 22
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@txbusted wrote:

I think it's been longer than that for BOFA / Chase too actually, I'm struggling to recall the last time one of my sporadic cash deposits where I didn't have to swipe either my DL or former debit cards at the POS-like terminal and it's been a good long while since I walked into a BOFA to deposit anything.

        
Message 14 of 22
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@txbusted wrote:

I think it's been longer than that for BOFA / Chase too actually, I'm struggling to recall the last time one of my sporadic cash deposits where I didn't have to swipe either my DL or former debit cards at the POS-like terminal and it's been a good long while since I walked into a BOFA to deposit anything.

It started with BOA in November.

Message 15 of 22
Creditfan1234
Contributor

I just had to chime in on this, all the big banks are going to start doing this by the end of the year and it is just for that purpose that others have stated. Money Laundering is a reality and the banks are required to protect against it so... that comes down to strict policies like this, and regular consumers suffer the consequences of those that ruin it for the rest of us.

Message 16 of 22
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Yesterday I was trying to pay medical bills.  Yeah, trying cuz they made it difficult, or impossible to do unless I complied with their requirements.

1.)  Must provide social security number.

2.)  Must provide home phone number.

3.)  Must provide cell phone number.

4.)  Must provide work phone number.

5.)  Must provide date of birth.

6.)  Must provide address.

7.)  Must provide FULL name, regardless of what is on the bill.

8.)  Must provide the invoice number.

9.)  Must provide the amount due.

Ok, I get the providing name (but really, who cares if the bill is being paid??? One place claimed that had to document WHO was paying the bill and their relationship to the patient, ya know, just in case the patient calls to ask who paid the bill.  Uh...no.  One place claimed it was for HIPPA.  Definitely not!)   

Ok, I get providing the invoice number.  Certainly makes it easier to look up the account!

Ok, I get providing the amount due.  But it's not that important.  You are going to pay what you are going to pay.  Period.

Phone numbers?  No, not needed to pay the bill.  If you don't have it already, I'm not giving it to you.  

Social security number?  No, not needed to pay the bill.  If you don't have it already, I'm not giving it to you.

Date of birth?  Seriously, not needed to accept payment.  I already gave you the name on the name on the invoice, the invoice number, and the amount to be paid.

At the end of the day, only two medical creditors got paid.  I refuse to give them personal information about me that they don't already have.  And they all claimed I had to provide this information because it was HIPPA law.  (It's not.  I am not discussing the patient with them - I am offering them a credit card number to pay a specific invoice for a pre-determined amount.  No patient confidentiality compromised there!)

I mentioned this to my friend.  She told me that the electric company demanded her social security number and date of birth in addition to the account numbeer, name on the account, and the address.  She's lived there for like 18 years...and she pays by phone every month, from the same account every month.  So all of a sudden, this month, they required her ss# and her date of birth before accepting payment.  Why???

Seems like every business is moving towards full the identity monty to provide services and collect payments.  *eye roll*

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came across this new policy a few months ago when I attempted to deposit cash in my parent's account when they couldn't.

Even showing ID with the same surname won't allow you to deposit it. I get the reasoning: Stop Money Laundering.

However, most people are apathetic to the bank's needs and will yell and argue until they get their way.

That same branch also decided to remove 3/4 of the teller area and replace the space with self-service machines(which require a debit card: a lot of people are ditching the debit card).

The commercial banks haven't learned: If people want to interact with a money machine, they'll go to an ATM, but not to a machine that directly replaced a human.

Message 18 of 22
Creditfan1234
Contributor

BadKarma718 I couldn't agree more about the machines, while they are cool I struggle knowing if something goes south I still need a real person to talk to not a machine. I walked into a Chase branch the other day and they had one teller sitting there and two large machines covering the other teller stations. I walked passed the machines straight to the teller because I dont have a debit card to use the machines with. Unfortunatly it is the future of banking for the large banks.

On another side not, yes people are going to fight these changes until the day they die.. but there isn't anything the person standing in front of you trying to help you can change about it.. they are just doing what they are required to do as part of their job that doesn't pay them enough to hear customers yell and argue all day. 

Message 19 of 22
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Yesterday I was trying to pay medical bills.  Yeah, trying cuz they made it difficult, or impossible to do unless I complied with their requirements.

1.)  Must provide social security number.

2.)  Must provide home phone number.

3.)  Must provide cell phone number.

4.)  Must provide work phone number.

5.)  Must provide date of birth.

6.)  Must provide address.

7.)  Must provide FULL name, regardless of what is on the bill.

8.)  Must provide the invoice number.

9.)  Must provide the amount due.

Ok, I get the providing name (but really, who cares if the bill is being paid??? One place claimed that had to document WHO was paying the bill and their relationship to the patient, ya know, just in case the patient calls to ask who paid the bill.  Uh...no.  One place claimed it was for HIPPA.  Definitely not!)   

Ok, I get providing the invoice number.  Certainly makes it easier to look up the account!

Ok, I get providing the amount due.  But it's not that important.  You are going to pay what you are going to pay.  Period.

Phone numbers?  No, not needed to pay the bill.  If you don't have it already, I'm not giving it to you.  

Social security number?  No, not needed to pay the bill.  If you don't have it already, I'm not giving it to you.

Date of birth?  Seriously, not needed to accept payment.  I already gave you the name on the name on the invoice, the invoice number, and the amount to be paid.

At the end of the day, only two medical creditors got paid.  I refuse to give them personal information about me that they don't already have.  And they all claimed I had to provide this information because it was HIPPA law.  (It's not.  I am not discussing the patient with them - I am offering them a credit card number to pay a specific invoice for a pre-determined amount.  No patient confidentiality compromised there!)

I mentioned this to my friend.  She told me that the electric company demanded her social security number and date of birth in addition to the account numbeer, name on the account, and the address.  She's lived there for like 18 years...and she pays by phone every month, from the same account every month.  So all of a sudden, this month, they required her ss# and her date of birth before accepting payment.  Why???

Seems like every business is moving towards full the identity monty to provide services and collect payments.  *eye roll*

It seems with the amount of time you spent writing this, you could have paid a couple more of the bills.  I guess it's all about perception. 

While it is annoying, it is 100% absolutely necessary with the amount of fraudulent activity that takes place on a day to day basis. If the businesses don't protect themselves and get hit enough times, there won't be a business.

That said, I just watched an absolute idiot go ballistic in a BOA earlier today over this very policy. He was none to thrilled when the police were waiting on him outside when he was done with his tantrum. You just can NOT threaten people in a bank (or an airport for that matter.)

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.