Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Contributor

Best friend asked me to co-sign, not happening

She wants to refinance her car but her credit isn't all that good. She wasn't too happy when I told her not because of her past history on making the payments (multiple lates up to 120 days). But I just got mine and my hubby's credit clean and I'm not about to let it get screwed up again. I'm helping her rebuild and have gotten her scores up about 50 points.
Established Contributor

Re: Best friend asked me to co-sign, not happening

Good call.  Helping them with points on rebuilding is good friendship.  Mixing money in the game is way too risky for you, and for the friendship.

People can find used cars around $1500-$2500 with a LOT of life left on them, and they will work for the sole purpose of getting from A to B.  It takes work and patience but she can get a nice used car to drive for the next 1-2 years while she rebuilds.

Valued Member

Yep. Good call. I have zero sympathy for cosigners.
Super Contributor

Glad you decided to use the word "NO" on cosigning! It is too risky even among the people we trust. Friendship, family and money don't mix!
Starting Score: 848
Current Score: 837
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

As much as I hate to say it, I'd co-sign for her husband first. Not that I'm going to.
Valued Member

Good for you! Besides being on the hook, it will affect your credit score. Besides protecting your credit and finances, you are helping you friend by saying no.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC/
Valued Contributor

Good for you, rmduhon. That has to be a hard conversation to have, and hard to say no, but you made a wise decision. I actually have been predicting that I will have to have a conversation like this at some future point. Your strength has encouraged me to stand resolute when it happens. Smiley Happy

Current Scores------ EQ 691; TU 651; EX 682 FICO 08---------------- Gardening until 07/07/18
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Valued Contributor

She had been hinting at it for a while and finally asked. She said she has autopay setup for it now and I asked why she didn't do that in the first place.
Valued Contributor

rmduhon wrote:
She had been hinting at it for a while and finally asked. She said she has autopay setup for it now and I asked why she didn't do that in the first place.

Wow! Did she have an answer?

Current Scores------ EQ 691; TU 651; EX 682 FICO 08---------------- Gardening until 07/07/18
Beginning Scores-- EQ 632; TU 576; EX 619 FICO 08 (06/13/16) - BK7 discharged 11/2015

Senior Contributor

I don't co sign for my children, I certainly am not going to co sign for a friend.

Which is not to say that I won't help a kiddo with a car or dollars, but I'm not co signing anything. 

Last App: 09/26/16.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.