Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boyfriend wants to sign up for utility - gets hit with security fees

tag
honeybunnygal
Regular Contributor

Re: Boyfriend wants to sign up for utility - gets hit with security fees

LOL...trust me, I KNOW how long it takes for a baddie to fall off. I learned that the hard way.

AMEX allows you to limit the amount an AU can use in a given month/cycle on a card, so that's a bit more protection.

Hard work & patience can go a long way!
8/2009 (myFICO): TU - 599, EQ - 656
7/23/2010 (LO pull): TU - 738, EQ - 801, EX - 785
4/12/2012 (myFICO): TU -778, EQ - 791
Message 31 of 70
psychoinhell
Regular Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@oracles wrote:

Stand by your man, but stand by your credit first.

Dont be no fool, he will survive

You can always find another man. It takes 7 years for a late payment to fall off, LOL!

That is a hell of an accurate way to look at this!  If a relationship ends because you end up getting the short end of the monetary/credit stick by trying to help, the results will stick with someone for 7 years!  Will it honestly take you 7 years to find someone else?  hmmmmm

Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Message 32 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

PIH,

That very topic came up with a friend last night. I figure it would take 15-20 minutes, on a bad day. Even if it took a few days, that'd still be quicker than all the time I'd spent on the phone, writing goodwill letters, or researching on-line for creative ways of begging for a late payment to be forgiven, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 33 of 70
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'd rather be single for 7 years than have something on my report for that length of time, specially something on my report because of a "significant other" leaving significant baddies on MY report.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 34 of 70
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ FR,

Single people have it made!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 35 of 70
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

I was in a situation like that with my current GF, I already had AT&T so I just added another location to my account. I paid the bill every month and just had her pay me back we did this for over a year until we moved in together. You can add him to credit cards but wont help on a cable bills? WTH

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Message 36 of 70
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

You can add him to credit cards but wont help on a cable bills? WTH

There's a BIG difference in both situations.

Her adding him to HER card means that she ultimately has complete control over the situation.

Him using her so that he can get a utility is leaving herself at the mercy of whether he pays or nots. She has no control afterwards.

She's being preemptive and proactive and trying to control her credit situation.

There is no shame in that.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 37 of 70
psychoinhell
Regular Contributor

if someone cannot take care of themselves, I am sure as hell not going to take care of them.

There is a difference between offering a little help for someone you care about and providing the majority of support.  Earlier it was stated that much of a security deposit would most likely be everything under the sun.  Why the max so soon?  Just the internet should be enough since work is tech related.

Starting Score: 600ish in 2007
Highest Score to date: EQ 716 May 2012(lender pull)
Current Score: EQ 685 6-21-12 ; Walmart TU Fico 744 6-05-12
Goal Score: 801
Message 38 of 70
Steelersfan904
Regular Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

Her adding him to HER card means that she ultimately has complete control over the situation.

Him using her so that he can get a utility is leaving herself at the mercy of whether he pays or nots. She has no control afterwards.

She's being preemptive and proactive and trying to control her credit situation.

I can't remember if I saw it or not but didnt she gave him the credit cards also? She obviously doesn't trust him to pay the bills is my point so if you dont trust somebody to pay their bill why wouldnt you let them possibly run up a credit card in their name. I get that you have to protect yourself and I don't know how old the OP is but if she has known this dude for over 11 years and been together for 4 years and she cant trust him then there is a bigger problem that is all I am saying

Starting Score: 502 5/4/2012
Current Score: 640 08/03/2012
Goal Score: 700

Message 39 of 70
honeybunnygal
Regular Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Steelersfan904 wrote:

This is exactly how I feel. I can remove an AU from my CC. I can't just "undo" a utility account that is opened in my name.

Well, I spoke to DBF and he has decided to fully explore his utility options (service provider with lower fees that may cost a bit more, streamlining to internet-only, etc.) We also discussed ways to improve his credit. When we have time, we will pull his CRs & see where he stands credit-wise to get an idea of what needs to be done.

Hard work & patience can go a long way!
8/2009 (myFICO): TU - 599, EQ - 656
7/23/2010 (LO pull): TU - 738, EQ - 801, EX - 785
4/12/2012 (myFICO): TU -778, EQ - 791
Message 40 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.