Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 causing marital discord.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 causing marital discord.

I pressured my DW into requesting a PC from her Cap1 Visa Platinum to a QS Rewards card. She hates dealing with stuff like this and while she was navigating their formidable phone menu tree, she told me "I hate you for this." After being directed to the "correct" CSR, she gave the spiel I had coached her on.

"My VP is my only non-rewards card. I want to carry its 17-year age over to the QS rather than apply new. I received an offer to do this last fall." Blah, blah, blah.

DENIED. She is welcome to apply for the QS if she'd like to. Why would she consider this now?

DW was not amused by the wasted 20 minutes and having to deal with CSR robots. Recon/EO was not possible unless I want to sleep on the sofa. I tried to do this via Live Chat but I could not figure out how to do this on the Cap1 website. Is it possible? Please tell me how.

Guess she can try again in another 17 years (you never know). Looks like the community opinion about Cap1 is well earned. I do not have Cap1 myself.

BTW, she's solid 800+ FICOs with only 4 credit cards. She only puts about $3k through the VP due to lack of rewards.

Hope this post doesn't come off as whiney or entitled.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 causing marital discord.

Since we know what isn't in your wallet.. Why not just have her cancel it?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@holypockets,

It doesn't come across like that at all.. Valentines day is around the corner and maybe you can console her with a huge giftieSmiley Tongue If not sleeping on the sofa and doing all housework for a week should be a good deal.

Have her log unto the CAP 1 account and click on contact us.  There should be an option to chat and then you can take it from there...

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahaha!

The "Chat Now" option shows up on the Capital One Contact Us page periodically, I assume when the chat isn't overwhelmed. Just keep refreshing the "Contact Us" page and it'll show up within 10 minutes or so. Stupid, I know.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nixon, I was bloodthirsty from the sidelines for the immediate card cancellation but she didn't do it. It took her a long time to talk to a CSR robot in the first place. I can't imagine she'd want to call back to cancel the thing. Maybe that's how they keep their customers—don't talk to them.

Looks like more sock drawer time for it though. Hope it doesn't make the socks smell bad.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jdt, Aaaaaaaah. Well I guess that was a little obtuse for me. Should have come here first for Cap1 Live Chat advise.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Yes-its-Me, thanks for the reparations advice. It was truly an agonizing one-sided conversation to listen to. Apparently, "Representative" isn't an obvious choice in the phone menu.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. I guess I'm lucky. My wife is pretty in tune with the whole cc-leveraging thing. But she does absolutely hate talking to customer service for any issuer and is prone to avoid it as much as possible, even when I plead with her to. I can't recall the problem specifically with CapOne, but my solutions for any issuer have been:

1. Online chat. With most issuers, the Chat option comes and goes, just check a few times throughout the day and see if chat becomes available. Then you can just 'be' her and nobody's the wiser.

2. I place the call myself and navigate through the maze to get to a customer service rep, then tell them "My wife needs to talk to you about her account," then hand the phone to my wife, CS will validate her identity, then have wife tell CS "I don't know anything about this, can I just authorize you to talk to my husband about my account?" Then she hands the phone back to me. Usually works.

3. I wait until we're going somewhere in the car (so she's a captive audience), then I get customer service on speaker phone so CS can validate that the actual cardholder is on the call, but I can do the talking (and CS can be comfortable that if wife disagreed, she'd say something).

Chris.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cpaynter, sage advice, my friend. I wish I had searched these forums for the Live Chat trick.

I'm thinking about revisiting the issue today via Live Chat if I can get a link. Too soon? Nothin' to lose, right?

Message 9 of 12
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow. I guess I'm lucky. My wife is pretty in tune with the whole cc-leveraging thing. But she does absolutely hate talking to customer service for any issuer and is prone to avoid it as much as possible, even when I plead with her to. I can't recall the problem specifically with CapOne, but my solutions for any issuer have been:

1. Online chat. With most issuers, the Chat option comes and goes, just check a few times throughout the day and see if chat becomes available. Then you can just 'be' her and nobody's the wiser. I also often "be" her via chat, as she too hates speaking to reps.

2. I place the call myself and navigate through the maze to get to a customer service rep, then tell them "My wife needs to talk to you about her account," then hand the phone to my wife, CS will validate her identity, then have wife tell CS "I don't know anything about this, can I just authorize you to talk to my husband about my account?" Then she hands the phone back to me. Usually works. I use this method also.

3. I wait until we're going somewhere in the car (so she's a captive audience), then I get customer service on speaker phone so CS can validate that the actual cardholder is on the call, but I can do the talking (and CS can be comfortable that if wife disagreed, she'd say something).

Chris.

And I thought I was the only one.Smiley Happy

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.