Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caveat emptor when it comes to finance and $$$

tag
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Caveat emptor when it comes to finance and $$$

Here is an article that caught my attention when it comes to bills, couples, and homebuying. I hope no one here falls for this and if so, what are some lessons learned. This is a horrible way to find out one's intentions after pouring out your heart and money.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-paid-my-boyfriends-rent-and-bills-to-improve-his-credit-score-th...

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: Caveat emptor when it comes to finance and $$$

Yikes.  I know it happens all he time, but....  Yikes!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 10
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Yep Yikes. It's tax time now and many folks have seasonal dear honey boos for the moment as well.

I have some stories but that article made me think and have information to give to my daughters and my nieces and nephews about being taken advantage of financially.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sad, but I wonder what warning signs she ignored.

Message 4 of 10
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

All of them. I mean all of them. She gave him the green light to use her as he please. 

-Offered to pay his bills until his credit improved

-foot the bill for his band buying snacks and equipement

-while he stacked his chips and saw an opportunity of lifetime(a home and/or another woman to use)

Message 5 of 10
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Blackswizz750wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

All of them. I mean all of them. She gave him the green light to use her as he please. 

-Offered to pay his bills until his credit improved

-foot the bill for his band buying snacks and equipement

-while he stacked his chips and saw an opportunity of lifetime(a home and/or another woman to use)

The proverbial straw for me would be his expecting me to put in tens of thousands of dollars of my own money into the purchase of ahouse that I was not on the deed of.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow.. Thanks for sharing.. Very sad story.

Message 7 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

I'll wager that some or all of her family and friends warned her about doing that.

I really don't think unmarried couples shouild get involved like that financally like that since there is no protection for one partner if the other one pulls this crap.  Also if the other partner dies, then the surviving partner could get kicked out of the home too so the relationship doesn't have to end bad to result in bad.

She does bare some responsibility for this regardless of how much he lied to her or not.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 10
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

She does bare responsibility since she ignored all the red flags and even sold her home for this guy. Love can blind you but you have to protect your neck and pocketbook.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

People sometimes!! Smiley Mad

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.