cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support Arrears Still Reporting as "Late" Although Being Paid?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child Support Arrears Still Reporting as "Late" Although Being Paid?

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Child Support comes out automatically monthly at a job I've been consistent with for 1.5 years. About a year ago, I got hit with an arrears charge (due to us trying to make the relationship work at the time in question, I was caught off gaurd). I stopped fighting it and it now also comes out automatically every month through my employer. I have never been late on CS or these arrears payments since this arrangement (as it comes out automtically), since the beginning of 2016.

It is reporting every month like clockwork as "late" on my credit report, however. Even though these payments are indeed being made as agreed. Is this always how it goes, creditwise? It is hard to get a concrete answer out of the CS office (Let's be serious, even hard to get anyone on the phone). They do not take out not enough for the arrears to be over any time soon so I don't want to wait until the whole lump sum is paid off before I stop getting "late" dings every month.

I've tried to go the route of paying my ex out in cash if she'll agree to take me off arrears and she will not, so that is not an option. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support Arrears Still Reporting as "Late" Although Being Paid?

Sorry, I don't have any experience but didn't want your post to go unanswered. 

It does sound like as long as you are paying arrears it will be considered late. [begin sarcasm] Your ex sounds like a lovely human being, refusing to accept cash just so you continue to be dinged?!?! [end sarcasm]  I know govt agencies are impossible to deal with, but maybe you can pay the arrears off through them early?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support Arrears Still Reporting as "Late" Although Being Paid?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. Child Support comes out automatically monthly at a job I've been consistent with for 1.5 years. About a year ago, I got hit with an arrears charge (due to us trying to make the relationship work at the time in question, I was caught off gaurd). I stopped fighting it and it now also comes out automatically every month through my employer. I have never been late on CS or these arrears payments since this arrangement (as it comes out automtically), since the beginning of 2016.

It is reporting every month like clockwork as "late" on my credit report, however. Even though these payments are indeed being made as agreed. Is this always how it goes, creditwise? It is hard to get a concrete answer out of the CS office (Let's be serious, even hard to get anyone on the phone). They do not take out not enough for the arrears to be over any time soon so I don't want to wait until the whole lump sum is paid off before I stop getting "late" dings every month.

I've tried to go the route of paying my ex out in cash if she'll agree to take me off arrears and she will not, so that is not an option. Thanks in advance!

I have wondered this about my boyfriend's credit report. Though his credit score is high now, I see that they have marked him late three time two years ago. I know for sure that he wasn't late because the child support was deducted from his paychecks. Now I log in and pay it manually every month on the first so there is no way they can claim it as late. He never disputed it because the child support office is a huge pain to deal with. Just hoping those lates roll off in a few years. It's worth noting that he is also paying some arrears, even now that his daughter is out of high school and it doesn't seem like the actual arrears caused anything to report late, just false reporting on lates that weren't actually late.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.