Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support :)

tag
dytch2220
Regular Contributor

Child Support :)

I began paying child support for my daughter in 2009.  I hadn't looked at my credit report for nearly a year before because I had a repossessed vehicle and other things which I was dreading.  I suppose I figured if I didn't see them I wouldn't have to deal with them for now.  I pulled my credit about two weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Office of the Attorney General in TX has reported all of my child support payments on my credit history.  Free positive history!  Well, not free but you know what I mean...  Do any other states do this?  It makes perfect sense to me that if you're paying an obligation on time that you should be duly credit for doing so!

Installment Accounts

Revolving Accounts
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support :)

@dytch2220 wrote:

I began paying child support for my daughter in 2009.  I hadn't looked at my credit report for nearly a year before because I had a repossessed vehicle and other things which I was dreading.  I suppose I figured if I didn't see them I wouldn't have to deal with them for now.  I pulled my credit about two weeks ago and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Office of the Attorney General in TX has reported all of my child support payments on my credit history.  Free positive history!  Well, not free but you know what I mean...  Do any other states do this?  It makes perfect sense to me that if you're paying an obligation on time that you should be duly credit for doing so!

Each state handles things a bit differently.  Some only report to the credit bureaus once you miss a payment and some only report if your child support is via income deduction.

I'm not sure how lenders look at a positive child support tradeline.  One thing I think they'd see is that it lowers your available income for further consumer credit debt.

Message 2 of 12
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

I live in AZ and have been paying child support since 2009 as well.  It does not show any reference to child support in my credit report.  Unfortunately, it shows it on my paystub though so it is counted in my debt to income ratio Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Corvidae wrote:

I live in AZ and have been paying child support since 2009 as well.  It does not show any reference to child support in my credit report.  Unfortunately, it shows it on my paystub though so it is counted in my debt to income ratio Smiley Mad

Although it is on your pay stub, the good news is that not every lender asks to see your pay stub unless you are looking for a mortgage.

You are lucky, too, that Arizona doesn't open a tradeline on your credit report for child support.  If you miss a payment or two, though, they will so keep that in mind. 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with Child Support

5 years ago i was in arrears, another way of saying you're behind in payments, to Oregon and South Dakota......Yes, two different mothers.....to the tune of  $11,000 plus. Both child support agencies have listed themselves on my credit reports. So by accident, I came up with a plan. 3 years ago I discovered that every time I had a tax refund coming from uncle sam every March. They kept it. So I change my tax status to zero exemptions with my employer and added 100 bucks extra for uncle sam every paycheck. The end resulted in over payment to Uncle Sam and a refund over $4,000.00 plus......which was promptly scooped up by South Dakota first....then the next year by Oregon. May I also note I was making monthly support payments during the years. This past February 2011 the last of my tax returned was taken away. NOW I'M EVEN. A simple phone call to each agency to verify the full payments and within 45 days all 3 credit reports reflected that. Both state agencies are still listed as active, but they don't list the amount being paid and no arrears.     

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My experience with Child Support

@Anonymous wrote:

5 years ago i was in arrears, another way of saying you're behind in payments, to Oregon and South Dakota......Yes, two different mothers.....to the tune of  $11,000 plus. Both child support agencies have listed themselves on my credit reports. So by accident, I came up with a plan. 3 years ago I discovered that every time I had a tax refund coming from uncle sam every March. They kept it. So I change my tax status to zero exemptions with my employer and added 100 bucks extra for uncle sam every paycheck. The end resulted in over payment to Uncle Sam and a refund over $4,000.00 plus......which was promptly scooped up by South Dakota first....then the next year by Oregon. May I also note I was making monthly support payments during the years. This past February 2011 the last of my tax returned was taken away. NOW I'M EVEN. A simple phone call to each agency to verify the full payments and within 45 days all 3 credit reports reflected that. Both state agencies are still listed as active, but they don't list the amount being paid and no arrears.     

That was a semi-painless way to save the money and get the debt paid off as quickly as possible!  Smiley Happy

You are lucky in that both states removed the delinquency from your credit reports after you caught up.  Each state handles credit reporting differently and not all remove the delinquency at all or at least until a certain amount of time has passed since paid in full.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not in CA.   Instead ... I got hit on my CR.

One day, I saw the TWO child support debt on my CR. 

• One from my local CSS as a Loan and one from TN where my children reside under the Derogatory Information. 
  • My local CSS acct is has been closed as paid and still on my CR.
  • The Derogatory Information has been removed after the lo~ng and har~d work!

My case was awful some what ...  it took yrs to solve the problem caused by him most of the part.

• Divorced in Nov 2004.  No child Support was ordered to me.  He relocated to TN with the children.
  • In Aug 2005, he claimed he is retired from USMC and has part time job only and not enough income, and asked for the child support.
  • I received a court order for the child support amount of $361.  But, I could not afford it.
  • His attorney got a court order and send that order to my employer ... then deducted from my pay check.
  • I lost that job in right after the Labor Day in Sep 2006 ... which is no more child support payments goes out.
  • I returned to the court to request to reduce the monthly child support amount, because I lost a job and he obtained a full time job.
  • The result ... $116 reduced.   But, still I could not afford it with unemployed status. 
  • So I was paying a very little amount to him through Third-party Transfer with NFCU online acct.
  • He complained over the e-mail even I replied that I am employed and can't afford it.
  • He stated that he will wait until I find a job and able o start make the payments ... which was not true.
  • He opened the case in TN in 2007 ... and my local CSS contacted me in the mail with filed date in Dec 2008.
  • He claimed that I owe 6.5k of child support to him  ... Excuse me!   He is a BIG liar!!
  • It should be less than 2k, not 6.5k  ... he included the amount that supposed to be deducted monthly child support payment.
  • He included the amount of 4.5k that he owes me and the judge ordered to off set 50% from my monthly child support payment until that amount become zero. 
  • I had to get all Third-party transfer record from NFCU ( there was no charge due to the court issue) for proof of the payments.
  • And provide the copy of the Family Court Order to the court where handle the child support case about off set order.
  • I spent tons of times and dates to create the form on the excel and inputs the information to respond to the court.
  • I also informed that one of my child has been graduated from high school in May 2009 at age of over 18 yrs old.
  • The result (in May 2010) ... my work paid the price!   The court found that I have over paid of $430, not just his claim is wrong!! 
  • He should be participate over the phone, but he did not.
  • After that, I had to go to the ombudsman department to get that $430 back. 
  • They held monthly payments until it meet the amount, and then they sent me a check of $430 in December 2010.  
  • Then guess what happened to that money?
  • I spend it all in less than a wk when my daughter came visit me in Jan 2011 for her 20th B.D.  We had a great time!!

Meanwhile ~ During those time, I've obtained a job (part time) and the court sent the order to my employer to deduct and send the child support  payments.

• Well, it screwed up!   I noticed interest charge on my child support statement. 
  • And found that since my pay is weekly, in some months does not meet the monthly obligation.  That's why I got interest charge.
  • I requested to switch the employer ... to my second part time job with monthly pay check ... and they did.
  • But, my employer screwed it up too!   Which is they took the money from my pay check, but they did not send it to the agency!
  • Then I lost that second part time job in Feb 2010 ... and I began to pay with  my credit card monthly with Auto Pay.
  • According to the CSS counselor, it must come from the wage garnishment.  But, as long as they receives money from me, it is fine for now.

* By paying with my cc with monthly auto pay, I am in the control of the payment and no one can't mess it up! ~ except me  ...  lollll  ~

I have one child still in the school at age of 14 yrs old.  Most likely I will need to keep paying the child support until he reaches age of 18 yrs old even he graduate from high school.  Or, it could be until he reaches 19 yrs old if he doesn't graduate from high school at age of 18 yrs old as long as he stays in high school.  No more child support after he reaches 19 yrs old even he still in the high school.  

* This is CA Law.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, not in CA.  

One day, I saw the TWO child support debt on my CR. 

• One from my local CSS as a Loan and one from TN where my children reside as Delegate. 
  • My local CSS acct is has been closed as paid and still on my CR.
  • The Delegate information has been removed!   Yes!! 

My case was awful some what ...  it took yrs to solve the problem caused by him most of the part.

• Divorced in Nov 2004.  No child Support was ordered to me.  He relocated to TN with the children.
  • In Aug 2005, he claimed he is retired from USMC and has part time job only and not enough income, and asked for the child support.
  • I received a court order for the child support amount of $361.  But, I could not afford it.
  • His attorney got a court order and send that order to my employer ... then deducted from my pay check.
  • I lost that job in right after the Labor Day in Sep 2006 ... which is no more child support payments goes out.
  • I returned to the court to request to reduce the monthly child support amount, because I lost a job and he obtained a full time job.
  • The result ... $116 reduced.   But, still I could not afford it with unemployed status. 
  • So I was paying a very little amount to him through Third-party Transfer with NFCU online acct.
  • He complained over the e-mail even I replied that I am employed and can't afford it.
  • He stated that he will wait until I find a job and able o start make the payments ... which was not true.
  • He opened the case in TN in 2007 ... and my local CSS contacted me in the mail with filed date in Dec 2008.
  • He claimed that I owe 6.5k of child support to him  ... Excuse me!   He is a BIG liar!!
  • It should be less than 2k, not 6.5k  ... he included the amount that supposed to be deducted monthly child support payment.
  • He included the amount of 4.5k that he owes me and the judge ordered to off set 50% from my monthly child support payment until that amount become zero. 
  • I had to get all Third-party transfer record from NFCU ( there was no charge due to the court issue) for proof of the payments.
  • And provide the copy of the Family Court Order to the court where handle the child support case about off set order.
  • I spent tons of times and dates to create the form on the excel and inputs the information to respond to the court.
  • I also informed that one of my child has been graduated from high school in May 2009 at age of over 18 yrs old.
  • The result (in May 2010) ... my work paid the price!   The court found that I have over paid of $430, not just his claim is wrong!! 
  • He should be participate over the phone, but he did not.
  • After that, I had to go to the ombudsman department to get that $430 back. 
  • They held monthly payments until it meet the amount, and then they sent me a check of $430 in December 2010.  
  • Then guess what happened to that money?
  • I spend it all in less than a wk when my daughter came visit me in Jan 2011 for her 20th B.D.  We had a great time!!

Meanwhile ~ During those time, I've obtained a job (part time) and the court sent the order to my employer to deduct and send the child support  payments.

• Well, it screwed up!   I noticed interest charge on my child support statement. 
  • And found that since my pay is weekly, in some months does not meet the monthly obligation.  That's why I got interest charge.
  • I requested to switch the employer ... to my second part time job with monthly pay check ... and they did.
  • But, my employer screwed it up too!   Which is they took the money from my pay check, but they did not send it to the agency!
  • Then I lost that second part time job in Feb 2010 ... and I began to pay with  my credit card monthly with Auto Pay.
  • According to the CSS counselor, it must come from the wage garnishment.  But, as long as they receives money from me, it is fine for now.

* By paying with my cc with monthly auto pay, I am in the control of the payment and no one can't mess it up! ~ except me  ...  lollll  ~

I have one child still in the school at age of 14 yrs old.  Most likely I will need to keep paying the child support until he reaches age of 18 yrs old even he graduate from high school.  Or, it could be until he reaches 19 yrs old if he doesn't graduate from high school at age of 18 yrs old as long as he stays in high school.  No more child support after he reaches 19 yrs old even he still in the high school.  

* This is CA Law.

Interesting story, but what is the point?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

* CSS in CA does not report outstanding payment history to CBs.

* Don't trust your employer!  They make mistakes too.

* If your payment is send by your employer:

You need to keep your eyes on the CSS web site payment history, that make sure your payment is posted in time.

If the amount is less than your monthly obligation, you need to make an additional payment before cut off date.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

* CSS in CA does not report outstanding payment history to CBs.

* Don't trust your employer!  They make mistakes too.

* If your payment is send by your employer:

You need to keep your eyes on the CSS web site payment history, that make sure your payment is posted in time.

If the mount is less than your monthly obligation, you need to make an additional payment before cut off date.

Each state handles CRA reporting differently. 

Where each state does not and cannot differ is in reporting of any child support arrears.  California is in full compliance with federal law in that California reports to CRAs the name of any parent who is at least two months delinquent and the arrears total $1,000 or more.  The state will first provided the parent notice & the opportunity to contest.  In all practicality, there are zero exceptions.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.