Regular Contributor
Thunderseven

Closing credit card accounts and the BIG D

Well, I knew it was coming, I just wasn't sure how much of a hit I would take on my scores.

As part of my BIG D years ago (95), my ex kept the credit cards.  She kept them paid up and then in 2001, she closed them.  There were only two at the time.  I knew they were about to drop off my CR's this month and was curious to see how it would affect my scores.  Here's what happened after two of them dropped:

TU - stayed the same (721 to 721)

EQ - dropped 43 points (747 to 704)

EX - has dropped them as of today.  I expect they'll drop from their CR at the end of the month.

I wish I would have known 16 years ago how this whole credit  system worked.  I would have obtained a new card under my name alone to maintain a credit history.  Instead, I concentrated on paying my child support on time (a good thing) and keeping a low profile with my credit.  I didn't want to interfere with the CS in any way.  Either way, I still came out pretty good.  A few more years of maturity on my now 3+ year old cards, and I'll be right back up there.  For now, keep the UTL % down on each, but still show usage and on time payments and the scores will slowly creep back up.

Recommendation to anyone going through the BIG D, pay attention to the posts here in the forums.  ALWAYS remember, your divorce decree is only an agreement between you and your ex.  The creditor's could care less about your agreement with each other, they only care about the agreement you have with them.

Thunderseven.....TU 712 (08/21/2013) EQ 696 08/21/2013 EX 719 908/21/2013) All FICO's

I don't ask for much,
The truth will do just fine....

Regular Contributor
Thunderseven

Re: Closing credit card accounts and the BIG D

Correction - EX has NOT dropped them yet.  Sorry!!!

Thunderseven.....TU 712 (08/21/2013) EQ 696 08/21/2013 EX 719 908/21/2013) All FICO's

I don't ask for much,
The truth will do just fine....

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Re: Closing credit card accounts and the BIG D

It's always fascinating to see how a change in oldest history and AAoA affects scores, or doesn't in the case of your TU.

Congrats on what seems to have been a pretty well-done divorce --she kept the cards and history clean (thumbs up), and you paid your child support (thumbs way up!!!) And a great reminder of the importance of establishing credit in one's own name.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}