cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-sign with partner on a loan: Good idea?

tag
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Co-sign with partner on a loan: Good idea?

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree to a point with what others have said.  If you think your relationship is solid, marriage or not, and you believe she would pay it back then I don't see the harm in it.  My live-in boyfriend of 3 years has co-founded 2 cars for me and he hasn't had to make one payment on them.  You are the only one that knows the person your girlfriend is and if she is responsible with money or not.  

A car to get around isn't the same as unsecured credit. I wouldn't co-sign.  I would assist her with fixing up her credit so that she can qualify for the loan. I'm glad your relationship is going well, but even 50% of marriages end in divorce. Also there's the verse of teach to fish instead of give a fish. 

If you can assist and teach her how to handle her credit for the best score and financial future, you'll be doing her a better favor than co-signing.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 23
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Every story is different with different outcomes. I was dating (currently engaged) to a wonderful girl. Her parents had 0 credit history, never wanted to have credit cards or loans as they were afraid of it or just not interested. They live in NY, rent apartment and that’s all they need. I started dating her when I was half way through college and she was just graduating High School. I helped her with everything I could, in order to help her pick the right college, how to pay for it, how to apply for government loans, etc. Once she started her college, half way through it turned out she had more expenses then government loans could cover. She was stuck, she did not work, her parents had 0 credit history, and nobody would give her any type of personal student loan. She did not have anybody else as it was only her and her parents. The only choice was to quit college and go to work and maybe someday resume. 

I on the other hand, had the opposite story. When I was in high school I already got credit card to start building my history, my parents got credit cards in order to build their history in case I would ever need a loan. I felt really bad for her, I was on here asking for advice, to see if I should help her and co-sign a personal loan for her. We were dating for couple years at that time, also had no clear future, and we did not know how it was going to turn out. 

Even though every single person on here told me not to do it, I decided to co-sign her personal loan, so she can continue her education and graduate. I was terrified and was thinking what would happen if she doesn’t graduate, if she can't pay it off, etc. She ended up using over 30K of that personal student loan. The good news is that she did graduate, she got a very good job, and in 3 years of graduating college she paid off 60K+ of student loans she had, including that personal loan I co-signed. I was along for the journey and was making sure she is responsible, and it turned out she is very good with money. She has her own credit cards now, auto loans, etc. And I can say I would trust her any day and would not hesitate to co-sign any type of loan with her. Soon I will be lucky to call her my wife J

Message 22 of 23
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll just say this never expect a loan or debt to be paid back by a friend or loved one if you expect to keep that person in your life. 

I agree with this and think it's great advice. There's nothing wrong with loaning giving a friend or loved one money, but doing so with the expectation of getting it back can put a great deal of strain on a relationship.

@SMikulski49 wrote:

Every story is different with different outcomes. I was dating (currently engaged) to a wonderful girl. Her parents had 0 credit history, never wanted to have credit cards or loans as they were afraid of it or just not interested. They live in NY, rent apartment and that’s all they need. I started dating her when I was half way through college and she was just graduating High School. I helped her with everything I could, in order to help her pick the right college, how to pay for it, how to apply for government loans, etc. Once she started her college, half way through it turned out she had more expenses then government loans could cover. She was stuck, she did not work, her parents had 0 credit history, and nobody would give her any type of personal student loan. She did not have anybody else as it was only her and her parents. The only choice was to quit college and go to work and maybe someday resume. 

I on the other hand, had the opposite story. When I was in high school I already got credit card to start building my history, my parents got credit cards in order to build their history in case I would ever need a loan. I felt really bad for her, I was on here asking for advice, to see if I should help her and co-sign a personal loan for her. We were dating for couple years at that time, also had no clear future, and we did not know how it was going to turn out. 

Even though every single person on here told me not to do it, I decided to co-sign her personal loan, so she can continue her education and graduate. I was terrified and was thinking what would happen if she doesn’t graduate, if she can't pay it off, etc. She ended up using over 30K of that personal student loan. The good news is that she did graduate, she got a very good job, and in 3 years of graduating college she paid off 60K+ of student loans she had, including that personal loan I co-signed. I was along for the journey and was making sure she is responsible, and it turned out she is very good with money. She has her own credit cards now, auto loans, etc. And I can say I would trust her any day and would not hesitate to co-sign any type of loan with her. Soon I will be lucky to call her my wife J

Awww what a great story! I'm so glad it worked out for you two. Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.