Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining finances when one spouse has business

tag
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Combining finances when one spouse has business

Does anyone have suggestions on combining finances and splitting bills for couples who are planning one moving together (one partner has a business that is struggling)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Combining finances when one spouse has business

If the biz is strrugling option 1) owner of biz takes 2nd pt job   option   2) so covers for the owner.

The first couple of years of any biz are tough.  The current biz we have owned for 15 years and started as just a hobby for Mrs Backwoods. About 10 years ago it started getting very serious.  Then we put several small players out of business and took their clients. Now we have plenty of money but no spare time to go on trips or do fun stuff.  We are now looking to add  1 more employee before year end. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sueblue34 wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions on combining finances and splitting bills for couples who are planning one moving together (one partner has a business that is struggling)

I would say that it depends on the business and what liability there is financially if the business fails. There is nothing wrong with keeping finances seperate, my wife and I do this today but still make sure that neither of us are in any sort of financial trouble. In my opinion it lowers the risk, why take the chance of ruining both finances, if you can keep one presons credit and finances pristine then it will help protect against never being able to buy a car, get a mortgage, etc....

Message 3 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

I would keep them seperate.  You can help each other money wise if you want but don't combine them.

I have seen one person drag another down because of a failing business

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keep everything separate. File your taxes separately also which is VERY IMPORTANT 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Completely agree! Separating your profits is the best solution 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.