Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cons to adding girlfriend as AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cons to adding girlfriend as AU

My girlfriend and I moved in together about 4 months ago and we are looking into purchasing a home in the near future. I have FICOs between 750-770 depending on the bureau and she is in the 690s with very, very limited credit history. She has two cards--- one through a local credit union, and a new CapOne Platinum. She was denied when she applied for a Discover It today.

I have the option to add her as an AU for my Amex Everyday. I never carry a balance on it, and I use it for maybe one purchase/month. Is there any reason NOT to add her as an authorized user? We have been together 4+ years, she has good spending habits (i.e. I'm not concerned with her running up a huge balance)--- more than likely she wouldn't even carry/use the card.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cons to adding girlfriend as AU

Adding her as an AU will certainly help her scores over time.   You are legally responsible for her spending, so thats a con. If you have the card, then any concerns over spending are elminated.    If she does get the card, you can always have text alerts sent when the card is used. That way there is total disclosure.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your thoughtful response! 

Message 3 of 8
JustBPatient
Established Contributor

I would put her on both AMEX and DCVR but with that said when they send the cards out, just put them in your safe and let her enjoy the extra padding on her report.  With two cards of her own, no need for her to have those.  Good luck!

Amex Gold =Amex ED 20k = Amex BCP 14k = Amex SPG Lux 2k = Arrival 2k = Ring 14k = BOA 321 30k = BOA BBR 10k = CSR 25k = Freedom 10k = Citi Simplicity 9k = Citi DC 5k = Citi DP 3k = DCVR IT 16k = DCVR IT(2) 10k = CAP1 QS 15k = NFCU CR24k/AE25k/CLOC 15k = BBVA 14k = Wells Plat. 5k = (2) US Bank Cash+ 13k, 18k = PenFed 17k

FICO scores TU 764 EX 739 EQ 745
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason I wasn't going to put her on the Discover is that I'm currently paying down a balance transfer w/ around $2,000 left. $2,000 against the $31k limit is only around 6-7% utilization, but I figured it would look better on her if she didn't have the balance reporting. Don't want to do more harm than good!

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Amex is a smart AU financially (unless they changed that, utterly seperate account number) but it's a crappy one for FICO: you don't get the history last I checked.

Should check that over on the CC board, but Amex in the post backdating world isn't a good choice for this.

        
Message 6 of 8
trnj88
New Contributor

+1

I was added an as AU on an AmEx Everyday two weeks ago. We got the card in the mail, shoved it in a drawer, and two days ago my FICO updated with the new account details.

Alert: A new account has been added to your credit report

Open Date: 01/2017

No historical tradeline information, only as of 01/2017

It reported but there is NO history associated with it. AmEx ED will show as a new account with the current balance details but (obviously) no inquiry associated with it. Also FYI, the utilization ($0/13k balance on the AmEx) was not calculated into my overall utilization on myFICO since it is an AU account.

It is a 6-year-old card and my score only jumped up 8 points because AmEx does not update the history to AU accounts, at least not anymore.

Message 7 of 8
Drash
Valued Member

You can add her to your amex everyday card as an authorized user or you can add her to the card that you have had the longest and that way she will have a longer credit history since she will asume your history. 

drash
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.