Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit scores and relationship

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Credit scores and relationship

People with high credit scores are rated as more attractive by the opposite sex. It is also known that people with similar credit scores were more likely to be in a relationship. Couples with higher scores in general had longer relationships. "For every additional 100 points or so in a couple’s average credit score at the beginning of their relationship, their odds of separating during the second year of the relationship drop by 30%. Also, if the difference between a couple’s individual credit scores is greater than 66 points at the start of the relationship, the couple is 24% more likely to split up within the second, third, or fourth year of the relationship. The link between credit scores and relationship longevity probably has to do with creditworthiness being a proxy for “an individual’s general trustworthiness and commitment to non-debt obligations,” the study notes."

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econresdata/feds/2015/files/2015081pap.pdf

http://blog.crown.org/handwritingonthewall/creditscore

Most likely credit scores are a good way to determine trustworthiness and other personality traits. So before you ask someone out, ask for their credit scores first and potentially save yourself from a painful breakup in the not so far future!

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit scores and relationship

Good post and I like how the feds based their research on facts with references.  I have to agree to some extent as I think this falls under being compatible.  I disagree with your post of asking someone you meet their credit scores right away.  Usually, that does not mean anything honestly.

Message 2 of 31
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Interesting article.

Kinda makes sense, when you think about it... If you have a higher credit score, you're more likely to be financially stable, which means you have more oppurtunity to do things that you WANT to do, as opposed denying yourself things because of debt payments.

I don't see asking a person's credit score on the first or second date going very well.  Smiley Happy  If a woman I only knew a short time asked me what me credit score was, I think giant red flags labeled "gold digger/high maintenance" would be unfurled in my brain.

Definitely need to know financial stats before you move in together, though!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

People with high credit scores are rated as more attractive by the opposite sex. It is also known that people with similar credit scores were more likely to be in a relationship. ...

Most likely credit scores are a good way to determine trustworthiness and other personality traits. So before you ask someone out, ask for their credit scores first and potentially save yourself from a painful breakup in the not so far future!

If I had followed this advice, I would have missed out on the best thing that ever happened to me!

When my partner and I first started dating, he had no credit score whatsoever. Turns out just like my parents, his had raised him with the notion that credit cards are basically evil. We're very similar in how we approach finances - we both hate debt with a passion, so that was pretty clear from the beginning.

When I met him, he had a good full time job and could afford to get splashy with spending every now and then, in addition to lots of little luxuries, like going out to the movies. After being head over heals in love for 10 months we survived a major car accident together and lost his ability to work. It's been another 10 months since the accident of scraping by on less than an average of $700/month between us. And while it was pretty hard for him to adjust to a tight budget, staying out of debt is so important to him that he made the changes and was eager to listen to and follow anything I said on the subject.

Now he's well enough to begin working part time again and his score is shaping up nicely thanks to nearly a year of small regular payments to his secured credit card, and being AU on 3 of my lines. I weathered it through with someone who had no experience with a tight budget and no credit score, and we've never had any conflict over finances whatsoever.

For me, the most important thing is similar values/mindset/goals regarding finances. So long as those are compatible, the rest will work out in the wash.

Message 4 of 31
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Do you think dating sites should ask for credit scores. Maybe dating sites might start having a hard inquiry option to people so they can autheticate their scores.Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 5 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Subexistence wrote:

Do you think dating sites should ask for credit scores. Maybe dating sites might start having a hard inquiry option to people so they can autheticate their scores.Smiley Very Happy

Lolz...Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 31
TheVig
Regular Contributor

I've been happily married for 17 years, so I've been long out of the dating game. With that said, using the right credit card can get you noticed. I've been hit on, in front of my wife for simply using an Amex card. So Amex still holds mystique for some. Lol.
Message 7 of 31
iced
Valued Contributor

Once you're well past dating and into a relatonship, this is a great conversation to have. I can tell you though if credit scores and/or finances came up in the first three, five, or even ten dates with my now-wife, she would have gotten up and left immediately. A lot of people don't want to talk about credit scores and/or finances early on because it's a personal matter. 

As for me, I think her score was about 70-100 points higher than mine. That was almost 3 years ago and we're only getting stronger. 

Message 8 of 31
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Being poor is expensive.

Last thing I want to do is fund poor and chronic bad decisions. I prefer to show people what I did to get to the level of success I'm currently at.
Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

People would lie their butts off!! Lol!
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.