Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit scores and relationship

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit scores and relationship

I imagine the topic of money would pop up to pay for the date meal.

Message 11 of 31
hajew86
New Contributor

Very interesting.

Funny enough, when I met my wife her credit was in shambles mainly because she understand how finacnce, credit, etc worked. She just spent money like college girl would. Once I started teaching her and helping her out with her credit she started to understand how important the whole game is. I came to the conclusion that most of America's parents/educators/schools have screwed up by not taking more time to teach teenagers about this stuff. I know I wasn't taught by my parents or anybody else. I had to learn the hard way and educate myself from that. Seems like it should be a higher focus for high school, IMO.  

Message 12 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if you pay close attention it is easy to figure out someone's financial health in a better way than asking them their credit score.  ^_^

Are they organized, do they keep a check register of some kind, are they living paycheck to paycheck, do they have a savings account, all these things are really good indicators of whether or not you are financially compatible with someone.

Message 13 of 31
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think if you pay close attention it is easy to figure out someone's financial health in a better way than asking them their credit score.  ^_^

+1

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 14 of 31
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I don’t know. More than half of Americans (58%) say they wouldn’t marry someone with significant debt. As money is merely a symptom, not the problem, skies aren’t looking entirely clear! Have you seen the charming Love & Taxes?

Message 15 of 31
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@vanillabean wrote:

I don’t know. More than half of Americans (58%) say they wouldn’t marry someone with significant debt. As money is merely a symptom, not the problem, skies aren’t looking entirely clear! Have you seen the charming Love & Taxes?

Interesting read...  Also interesting to note that despite all the talk , 69% of women prefer NOT to be the main provider of the family and prefer their partner to at least pay half of all the bills.

Besides that, I really think it depends on the KIND of debt a person has...  A reasonable mortgage and car payment to me are NOT the same thing as have having your credit cards maxed out constantly because you wanted new furniture or a 60" TV or spend $300 on your hair every two weeks.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 16 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalmus wrote:

@vanillabean wrote:

Interesting read...  Also interesting to note that despite all the talk , 69% of women prefer NOT to be the main provider of the family and prefer their partner to at least pay half of all the bills.

Besides that, I really think it depends on the KIND of debt a person has...  A reasonable mortgage and car payment to me are NOT the same thing as have having your credit cards maxed out constantly because you wanted new furniture or a 60" TV or spend $300 on your hair every two weeks.

Curious what talk you're referring to...

Message 17 of 31
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

I'd be happy to elaborate via PM if you'd like. I'm not going to elaborate in this thread. I don't want to accidentally set off a gender/political discussion. I wasn't trying to state an opinion either way, just was legitimately interested in that stat and if anything else could be extrapolated from it.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Message 18 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, please PM me. I am a woman, and I'd bet money you are a bit mislead on 'that whole talk'. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 31
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, please PM me. I am a woman, and I'd bet money you are a bit mislead on 'that whole talk'. Smiley Happy

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong on something, and I always welcome healthy conversation on any subject.  Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.