Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW annoyed by my credit talk.

tag
wilde6
Established Member

DW annoyed by my credit talk.

I admittedly am hyper focused on my credit, especially maximizing our cash back rewards and savings. My DW is not really interested. We have 4 kids and I work 2 jobs so saving every penny is extremely important at least to me. I am constantly on her about using this card here and that card there. I also stress on big purchases going over everything to make sure I'm getting the very best deal possible. For example I've been wanting to purchase an Imac but ive been trying to figure out the best way to finance it at 0% interest. I just received a notice for 24 month 0% finacing on my best buy visa. On top of that I found it online for $200 cheaper which best buy will price match and I have $10 in rewards. I was excited to talk to her about it but she doesn't want to hear it. I guess other than just venting, my question is how do I deal with it? We are both getting frustrated with each other and it's beginning to cause a strain on our relationship.
Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: DW annoyed by my credit talk.

#1: Wives are always annoyed about something.

#2: Husbands typically are at fault at least 60% of the time.

#3: If you are so obsessed with credit issues, meaning points and chasing pennies and insisting the use of this card or that card to squeeze every penny in rewards or cash back "toward someone else" (aka the wife) - that's pretty annoying.

#4: Working two jobs, raising 4 kids and keeping the spouse calm - who has the time or energy to chase pennies?

I understand very well using 0% financing, intro cashback promotions, rebates, shopping around for the best price, etc. (and) I know there are those that chase points and rewards as a hobby or in some cases I'd call it an obsession - I have 28 open accounts and would have to carry a cheat sheet to keep what does what straight for every card - sorry I've got better things to do.

You already know the answer when you wrote: We are both getting frustrated with each other and it's beginning to cause a strain on our relationship.  Having been married to the same spouse for decades (more than a few) I'll suggest that there are a lot bigger issues than blowing up the household over using a 1.5% cash back card "rather than" a 2.0% card to buy a new toothbrush. 

Message 2 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Share here and save some grief at home!
Message 3 of 41
wilde6
Established Member

It's more like 0% vs 10% with cash back match. But you are right I work to hard not to pinch pennies. I remember my grandfather going over every bill with a magnifying glass and calling to dispute a 35cent phone call (probably where I get it from). Thanks for the advice!
Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bore people around me and alienate friends, that’s why I come here! 😊
Message 5 of 41
wilde6
Established Member

Thanks ttulaw! It's not just me.
Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your able to put time a side without the strain it may work but you would still need to convince your wife it's worthy of her time and she would benefit maybe those points, cash back could go towards a new skirt or other items a women may enjoy just my 2 cents.
Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wilde6 wrote:
It's more like 0% vs 10% with cash back match. But you are right I work to hard not to pinch pennies. I remember my grandfather going over every bill with a magnifying glass and calling to dispute a 35cent phone call (probably where I get it from). Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like my dad now that he's older lol his grandparents worked in a cotton factory of sorts

and had to save everything because many other family members came over and non english speaking

or even had a job right away.

Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

The cost of marriage counseling far outweighs any percent back you'll get from a card. Trust me on this one. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous
Message 9 of 41
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

I have learned to just keep it to myself or if someone brings up cash back cards. Most folks could care less and it can cause strains(its like a nagging partner asking to do chores constantly). My wife can care less if I got 5% cash back on groceries or 2000 MR's from paying the phone bill with my AMEX card. If I am wasting funds on stuff I dont need(then she would care). Just take care of you family and it will work itself out. Just have the cash cushion when she really needs it.

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.