Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dating someone with some serious financial issues

tag
doc101
Regular Contributor

Re: Dating someone with some serious financial issues

Have been in your situation before and I know its love that keeps you there, but if he does not care about his own financial situation, then you shouldn't either. It will be really hard  for you guys to take your relationship to the next step until he decides to get his financial house in order.......

Starting Score:Equifax 543
Current Score:EQ659 TU 716 EXP677 updated 7/3/2016
Goal Score: 700

Message 21 of 29
roqiin_tkdk

Hi Everyone,

I currently am in the same position.  I have been with my significant other for 4.5 years and nothing has gotten better.  I feel unhappy and that nothing will change and everyone else around me is saying the same, that I need to find someone in life at my exact same level.

I am thinking of breaking up with him soon... because I know I can't live this way forever.  I have been paying 100% for everything.  I loved him a lot in the beginning but his lack of motivation has made me think otherwise.

Starting Score: 623
Current Score: 623
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 29
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Don't marry him. Sorry to say but you think it is bad now, it will get worse when you get married because he will have your money to spend too.  When me and my husband went to counseling, we were told that one of the top  reasons people get divorced is because of money. You get married all his problems will become yours too. My Aunt married a guy that owed back taxes and they took taxes returns and wages to pay back money he had before they even got married.

Message 23 of 29
CS800
Super Contributor

I have been in similar situations where I have dated women with serious financial issues. As much as i'm more about the person than their credit profile, it does make me nervous.

My credit suffered years ago when I was not credit savy and had lots of lates. But with the knowledge I gained, I was able to bring my scores back and clean it up. When I hear that the woman I'm dating has a lot of loans and a lot of them with many lates, I would say it makes me very nervous. People have their own situations and I'm not one to point finger or judge; I had horrible credit once.

I guess I just protect myself and as much as I would like to help them straighten things out, sometimes it's too much effort. You will have to decide for yourself whether you're willing to take on that 'burden'.

As a side note, all the women I knew with big credit problems were and are very nice people just with some bad luck and ill informed about credit. Some just don't want to do anything about it.

Just my 2 cents

Message 24 of 29
sparkle1908
Valued Member

Very good topic and a lot of interesting advice...I don't have anything to offer that is "new" but I am currently working on my own credit so that I won't be the subject of future topics such as this....Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EX:531 EQ:591 TU:614
Current Score: EX:531 EQ:591 TU:614
Goal Score: 650 across the board short term

Message 25 of 29
student-of-credit
Established Member

@kmkotas wrote:

My boyfriend currently has a judgement filed against him from his visa card that has been charged off since 2011. He was sued last year and they began garnishing his wages. He has since switched jobs and the garnishment has not caught up to him yet. I am always reminding him to call the collection agency and try to get a settlement worked out. He makes over $65,000 a year and has nothing to show for it. He spends his money on stupid things instead of taking care of his responsibilies. I find myself getting more and more irritated with him as the days go on. He is 27 and acts like a child. I am smart enough to know that this probably will not change but I really do love the guy and I guess I am just looking to see if anyone else can relate?

I suggest you avoid marriage to this person. You can "have fun" with him, as long as his problems are not your problems. My brother married such a person. When they separated, he had to live in poverty to fix the mess she created on their credit (he deferred to her, as far as managing the money).
Message 26 of 29
RickyRay
New Contributor

GOOD CREDIT IS SEXY!!!!LOL!!  BAD CREDIT SUCKS!!!

@student-of-credit wrote:

@kmkotas wrote:

My boyfriend currently has a judgement filed against him from his visa card that has been charged off since 2011. He was sued last year and they began garnishing his wages. He has since switched jobs and the garnishment has not caught up to him yet. I am always reminding him to call the collection agency and try to get a settlement worked out. He makes over $65,000 a year and has nothing to show for it. He spends his money on stupid things instead of taking care of his responsibilies. I find myself getting more and more irritated with him as the days go on. He is 27 and acts like a child. I am smart enough to know that this probably will not change but I really do love the guy and I guess I am just looking to see if anyone else can relate?

I suggest you avoid marriage to this person. You can "have fun" with him, as long as his problems are not your problems. My brother married such a person. When they separated, he had to live in poverty to fix the mess she created on their credit (he deferred to her, as far as managing the money).

Well I don't have a logo, so I will just use @#@
Message 27 of 29
Oorah
New Contributor

The best advice I can give you is end this ASAP. My ex was like this and he made $60k per year I paid all the bills with my income so they were paid on time. He got worse year after year. He is now 56, moved out of state and lives with mommy who is an enabler. iF he cares about you he will become more responsible when you set yourself free of him. If you stay with him he has no reason to change his behavior.

Starting Score: 593
Current Score: 554,622,669
Goal Score: 750

Message 28 of 29
sgtm7
Established Member

People can change.  I was never in the situation where bills weren't paid, or that household/family neccessities weren't taken care of.  However, I was 75K in debt with a annual income of about 80K.  That is not including mortgage.   I filed Chapter 13 BR in 2005.   Since then, I have become totally debt free (including mortgage), I have about 110K in cash and investments.  I don't finance anything.  If I want a car, I pay cash for a used one.   If I use a credit card, I pay it off right after I charge it.  That way there is no finance charge or monthly payments.

Now granted, I was no where near the irresponsible behavior of the OP's spouse.  However, I was married to someone like that.  I think it can work, IF the irresponsible person will allow you to take control of the finances.   Have an account that is for bills, one for savings, one for her spending money, and one for his spending money.   If the financially irresponsible spouse will agree to this, then it can definitely work out in the long run.   Everyone has faults, the key to a successful relationship is making it work despite those faults.  
JMHO

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.