Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing w/ an unscrupulous father

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealing w/ an unscrupulous father

Credit card companies:  Set-up a password with them.  get a PO box and/or have them e-mail the statements to you.

Message 11 of 17
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

What I would do is,

* Get a PO Box and use it.

* Put freezes on your credit reports.

* Sign up for credit monitoring service. (USAA has the best value for such service).

Message 12 of 17
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Hurry up and move out you poor thing Smiley SadGood  luck

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 13 of 17
april75

Have similar situation w family member. You cannot be too paranoid. Our problem is that even if we make police report and dispute charges, (successfully), this has gone on for years and other than making police report neither LE no the credit card companies and banks will do anything to pursue. If you have ever let him use credit card for anthing, cancel it immediately. It is amazing to me how much people are able to do online (open bank accounts using your nane as co signer, for example, w no repercussions. Using just a soc sec, dob and address of other person to make them a joint account holder. Good luck!
Message 14 of 17
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

While I understand family is family, but if you persue them for ID theft I can assure you, it would be hard founded they would attempt it again with some one else for several years to come.

ID theft is a major crime nowadays, the biggest fault of the system is it is usually performed by someone we know and 65% of the time it is a family member and we do not persue charges. If the system worked better the State would actually still pick up the charges and persue them for you, but it is not considered a high priority as in 90% of consumers this happens to just pay the bill not to have family member get into trouble.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 15 of 17
Simply827
Established Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

While I understand family is family, but if you persue them for ID theft I can assure you, it would be hard founded they would attempt it again with some one else for several years to come.

ID theft is a major crime nowadays, the biggest fault of the system is it is usually performed by someone we know and 65% of the time it is a family member and we do not persue charges. If the system worked better the State would actually still pick up the charges and persue them for you, but it is not considered a high priority as in 90% of consumers this happens to just pay the bill not to have family member get into trouble.

I was watching Suze Orman last night and a caller's mother took out 100K of student loans in her name. Her mother refused to pay so the caller started paying on the loans...with a 30K salary. I'm sorry, but if I were her, my mother would be sitting in jail.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 16 of 17
spydergto
Regular Contributor

I have this on most all of my accounts, mainly my primary money account has a verbal password. ModCut After watching my little sister walk into a BofA and walk out with cash from my account. i ended that **bleep** right then and there. It was a dare, she claimed she could do it and i didnt believe her. well her DL has my last name and they bought the im his wife routine. my little sister is a doll she would never steal from me it was a one time thing but afterward i have put extra security in place. you can guard EVERYTHING with extra security even your bank account your credit accounts everything , add extra verbal passwords and use only phrases you would know.

~edited to keep it "G" rated ~pizzadude, myFICO moderator

Ex 750 10/22/2013 Eq 651 11/09/2013 TU 721 12/9/2013

5/14/14 Equifax – 673 Experian – 744 Transunion – 722

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.