Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

tag
NikoD
Regular Contributor

Re: Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

Even if there is no visible influx of goods in the house she could still be a shopaholic/cumpulsive spender. Just a single pair of shoes could set her back $400 or more and a few things from a department store makeup counter could also cost hundreds of dollars. You'd be unlikely to notice a single new pair of shoes and a few more bottles/tubes of makeup. The only way to know for sure that she's not still spending recklessly would be to view her CC statements yourself.

Message 51 of 115
1_2
Contributor

Exactly my thoughts. I think the OP would notice if it were drugs or drinking as someone suggested but the things fashionista's spend money on...most men just don't notice...even if we think we are trying to look our best for the men. A facial can cost well over 100.00. Then there's waxings, manicures, pedicures, etc,. 

Closed on home Jan 30, 2013. Yay!

Capital One (secured) $1000.00 | Capital One (former Orchard Bank) $500.00 | First Premier $500.00 | Credit One Bank $750.00 | Wal-Mart $3550.00 | Citi Thank You Preferred $6,800.00 | Discover It $4,800.00 | AMEX BCE $4,500.00
Message 52 of 115
tmeach
Established Member

I am curious- what has been the outcome so far?  I hope your GF understands where you are coming from with this.  I even hope you mentioned that her debt concerns you for the future you hope to build with her.  You sound very rational and reasonable with your expectations, but I am not participating in the conversation you are having with her.  I'm sure it has been a difficult process with arguing over finances but believe me, this is better for your sake in the long run.  

My husband and I married 6 months after we met, at the time, we thought we had the same philosophy with finances.  Well, we were wrong.  Nearly 4 years ago, one person had $18K in CCs and 18K in a Sallie Mae loan cosigned for an ex, the other had a credit score in the mid 500s, Fed student loan, behind on taxes and a 17.25% rate on a car loan and NO SAVINGS, not even 401K! (Yes, we married each other knowing how financially unhealthy we were for each other.) Since then, the taxes have been taken care of, we opened a 401K and small investment acct, credit score raised over 100pts, consolidated  some CC debt, $7k in CC (which will be paid off  the end of the month)and still stuck with the Sallie Mae and the Fed loan.  (nothing we can do about the Sallie Mae since it is COSIGNED; we just hound the ex to pay on time and they do).  

Looking back, I truly wish we had a bigger discussion about money and been with each other longer to understand how each person handles money  We've had numerous arguments about all aspects of money- that were petty or just big blowouts. The arguments would be something along the lines of this:  what kind of home to buy, who to buy gifts for and how much to spend, if we loan $20, how soon to expect it back, cutting back on eating out, etc. We were at different wave lengths with controlling our spending but are now beginning to align.  

With all that being said....you have every right to worry about how she handles her finances.  It affects your emotions, and your potential livelihood with her.  For example- what if you start a family with her and she becomes a SAHM? Even with the heartache you are both going through presently, it is much easier NOW, than when you are married with comingled finances, children etc.  Like a 1_2  stated, a lot of divorces result from money.  

I hope you update us.

Message 53 of 115
Madoffed
Valued Member

She sounds like my soon to be ex wife. Rip cord now. Help her move back in with mom and dad, turn and walk away. It may sound cold, but I speak from painful, expensive experience. I'll be called a liar, but I went from a seven figure salary, house, cars etc. about a $3 million liquid net worth in my late 30s to rebuilding everything from a rental apartment. Why? I wasn't brutally decisive when the lies to hide financial issues started. She was a 10, great in bed, sweet personality, but when my money became "her money"...

Good luck man. It's a tough decision. I pussed out and it's got me starting over in my 40s. Not saying I know you or your gf, just telling you if your Spider Sense is tingling, pay attention.

Starting Score: EQ 586 April 2014
Current Score: 718 (EQ - MyFICO) 704 (TU - MyFICO) 701 (EX - Experian)
Goal Score: 725

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 54 of 115
navistar
Regular Contributor

@Madoffed wrote:
She sounds like my soon to be ex wife. Rip cord now. Help her move back in with mom and dad, turn and walk away. It may sound cold, but I speak from painful, expensive experience. I'll be called a liar, but I went from a seven figure salary, house, cars etc. about a $3 million liquid net worth in my late 30s to rebuilding everything from a rental apartment. Why? I wasn't brutally decisive when the lies to hide financial issues started. She was a 10, great in bed, sweet personality, but when my money became "her money"...

Good luck man. It's a tough decision. I pussed out and it's got me starting over in my 40s. Not saying I know you or your gf, just telling you if your Spider Sense is tingling, pay attention.

+1

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 55 of 115
1_2
Contributor

I'd still love to know what happened. I am hoping the OP will come back at some point and update us.

Capital One (secured) $1000.00 | Capital One (former Orchard Bank) $500.00 | First Premier $500.00 | Credit One Bank $750.00 | Wal-Mart $3550.00 | Citi Thank You Preferred $6,800.00 | Discover It $4,800.00 | AMEX BCE $4,500.00
Message 56 of 115
edcb
Contributor

OP, if it doesn't work out please let me know.

We can hook your girlfriend and my boyfriend up because they deserve one another.

And we like minded people can work out a mutually beneficial LTR agreement.  Smiley LOL  On paper.  With monthly budgets, projections, and all kinds of fabulous things.

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 57 of 115
myjourney
Super Contributor

@edcb wrote:

OP, if it doesn't work out please let me know.

We can hook your girlfriend and my boyfriend up because they deserve one another.

And we like minded people can work out a mutually beneficial LTR agreement.  Smiley LOL  On paper.  With monthly budgets, projections, and all kinds of fabulous things.

Lol 

I just loved this answer ...Bravo Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 58 of 115
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@tmeach wrote:

I am curious- what has been the outcome so far?  I hope your GF understands where you are coming from with this.  I even hope you mentioned that her debt concerns you for the future you hope to build with her.  You sound very rational and reasonable with your expectations, but I am not participating in the conversation you are having with her.  I'm sure it has been a difficult process with arguing over finances but believe me, this is better for your sake in the long run.  

My husband and I married 6 months after we met, at the time, we thought we had the same philosophy with finances.  Well, we were wrong.  Nearly 4 years ago, one person had $18K in CCs and 18K in a Sallie Mae loan cosigned for an ex, the other had a credit score in the mid 500s, Fed student loan, behind on taxes and a 17.25% rate on a car loan and NO SAVINGS, not even 401K! (Yes, we married each other knowing how financially unhealthy we were for each other.) Since then, the taxes have been taken care of, we opened a 401K and small investment acct, credit score raised over 100pts, consolidated  some CC debt, $7k in CC (which will be paid off  the end of the month)and still stuck with the Sallie Mae and the Fed loan.  (nothing we can do about the Sallie Mae since it is COSIGNED; we just hound the ex to pay on time and they do).  

Looking back, I truly wish we had a bigger discussion about money and been with each other longer to understand how each person handles money  We've had numerous arguments about all aspects of money- that were petty or just big blowouts. The arguments would be something along the lines of this:  what kind of home to buy, who to buy gifts for and how much to spend, if we loan $20, how soon to expect it back, cutting back on eating out, etc. We were at different wave lengths with controlling our spending but are now beginning to align.  

With all that being said....you have every right to worry about how she handles her finances.  It affects your emotions, and your potential livelihood with her.  For example- what if you start a family with her and she becomes a SAHM? Even with the heartache you are both going through presently, it is much easier NOW, than when you are married with comingled finances, children etc.  Like a 1_2  stated, a lot of divorces result from money.  

I hope you update us.

OP update us.  I'm with everyone else on this.  My situation is I'm in my second marriage and my second husband, like my first, does not budget well.  Having learned my lesson from the first experience, I don't co-mingle funds and I have a specific minimum amount that the spouse pays.  

Past that, I don't worry about his money and spending and he doesn't worry about mine.  I do all the budgetting and keep spreadsheets on my budget.  It makes me feel better and OP you need to do the same. Otherwise it willl eat at you and you'll feel taken advantage of. Occasionally, you'll still feel that way, but not as much.

My advice is you can keep the relationship if she's a good person, but it doesn't sound like she is. However, do something to make yourself feel better about the situation.  She's a grown-up, if she can't meet those terms she needs to leave and you can date or not date.  Let's face it.  She previously had rent, utilities, and food expenses.  She was able to handle them before moving in with you.  She can handle them again and you won't have to live with her resentment.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 59 of 115
1_2
Contributor

Does anyone other than me find it strange that the OP never returned? I'm thinking he couldnt get any straight answers from her or else found out some bad things,  he broke it off with her and has been to heart broken to come back.

We have a cliff hanger. Has that ever happened before?

Thoughts anyone?

Message 60 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.