Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

I miss the days back in high school and even college where the only thing you had to worry about when dating a girl was how chill and hot she was

Message 91 of 115
Journeygod
Regular Contributor

I will start off by saying, I AM A WOMAN!

This 'GIRL' you are dating has no concept of what it is to be a responisble adult.

My Fiance' has given me full access to ALL of his credit cards. I NEVER use any of them, NOT because I am forbidden, but because I have my own money and I know how to manage it.

If I cannot afford it, I do not buy it, PERIOD!!! I do WITHOUT!!!

'WE' my Fiance' and I are on a mission.

We have goals, we clearly understand what we BOTH want in life and what it will take to get us there.

Finances are a huge part of our relationship.

At this point if this 'GIRL' has not proven to get her stuff together, YOU will not be helping her, she needs to help herself.

Getting a loan will only give her a crutch, and you are that crutch 'IF' you try to save her.

Message 92 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dw4250 wrote:

@inara220 wrote:

Yikes... that is messed up.

I don't understand why people do these things.  Why... when someone else is paying for your room and board, would you go out and get a new vehicle?  I would have taken the bus before doing that!

What is crazy about the whole situation is she had a perfectly functioning car.  2010 Civic; low miles (under 50K), no mechanical issues of any kind.  She was within 1 1/2 years of paying it off.  

If she had a beater or a car that was having all kinds of issues, I maybe could have seen the rationale in getting another car.  But even then, I wouldn't have advised getting a brand new car, especially since her other obligations were not being met.  The whole thing still doesn't make sense to me.  But she said she "fell in love" with the truck, so she had to have it.

One other humourous aside...after we broke up and she realized we would not reconcile, she sent me a long winded e-mail basically suggesting I should PAY HER some money because I sprang all of this on her (we'd been discussing this issue since March 2014), and she had not planned or put any money for rent or a deposit (I guess living 1 1/2+ years rent/utility free do not count).  She told me she was incurring a lot of expenses that she did not have before (in part because of the new truck!), and I basically "owed" her for putting her out without notice (I gave her 60 days).  

That e-mail went straight into the trash bin, where it belonged. 

Sounds like my ex-wife. She ended up filing for bankruptcy after the divorce in 1989. Apparently she didn't get the message. From what I know since then she's filed for bankruptcy again as well as being divorced again, both in 2008 I believe. Some people never change. You dodged a bullet, seriously.

Luckily I've been happily married now for just under 10 years to someone I met at work. She has an ex who was just like mine so we both walked into the relationship with the understanding that finances were to be completely transparent and no joint accounts...... EVER!

Message 93 of 115
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

Hey, Dw -- OMG!! "you let me live for free and paid for everythingfor me, so now you gotta keep paying me .." to what? Breathe? Good LORD. Some people have GALL. Hate to tell ya, but it sounds like you were dating a cr*ck smoker, lol! 

Well, my indignation aside, congrats on going with your gut and doing what's right for you -- and saving yourself from years of misery. 

@Revelate - I think I don't know how we could recognize these kinds of folks.. Except to say that Fico should seriously consider branching out and creating a dating version of the forums/a dating site. Think about it - most of us have our scores in our siggies, so - no secret there. And we are honest about  our situation, and if it's not great (ahem), then we here ask for advice on achieving our goals, getting good scores or maintaining good scores or you know, going on app sprees, lol.  Anyway, everything is pretty much up front: where we are now, the lessons we've learned from past mistakes, what  our goals are, etc.  The downside is, I'm guessing it won't take long for it to go downhill real quick (some people just HAVE to make things icky) -- the moderators would definitely have their jobs cut out for them -- but.. seems like if it could be "kept clean," it'd be a good option to explore..? 

Doesn't have to be a dating section.  In the Relationship section someone starts a thread or group for Singles with scores of 760 or better, 650- 750; under 640. It works in Fitness forums, it'll probably be fine too.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 94 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very glad you left the relationship OP. The entire thread I was thinking "my God I can't believe he's allowing himself to be used." You'll find a financially responsible girlfriend/wife. Maybe she never even had CC debt and just wanted to have a free ride? Who knows. Either way, I'm glad you're out. Don't let her back in because things won't change.

Message 95 of 115
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bdhu2001 wrote:

@hapagrrl wrote:

Hey, Dw -- OMG!! "you let me live for free and paid for everythingfor me, so now you gotta keep paying me .." to what? Breathe? Good LORD. Some people have GALL. Hate to tell ya, but it sounds like you were dating a cr*ck smoker, lol! 

Well, my indignation aside, congrats on going with your gut and doing what's right for you -- and saving yourself from years of misery. 

@Revelate - I think I don't know how we could recognize these kinds of folks.. Except to say that Fico should seriously consider branching out and creating a dating version of the forums/a dating site. Think about it - most of us have our scores in our siggies, so - no secret there. And we are honest about  our situation, and if it's not great (ahem), then we here ask for advice on achieving our goals, getting good scores or maintaining good scores or you know, going on app sprees, lol.  Anyway, everything is pretty much up front: where we are now, the lessons we've learned from past mistakes, what  our goals are, etc.  The downside is, I'm guessing it won't take long for it to go downhill real quick (some people just HAVE to make things icky) -- the moderators would definitely have their jobs cut out for them -- but.. seems like if it could be "kept clean," it'd be a good option to explore..? 

Doesn't have to be a dating section.  In the Relationship section someone starts a thread or group for Singles with scores of 760 or better, 650- 750; under 640. It works in Fitness forums, it'll probably be fine too.

I suspect the vast majority of people on this forum don't base their opinion of someone else's post quality on the poster's FICO score; if that is indeed the case, I find it hard to think that singles threads based on scores would gain much traction from many people.

End of the day finances are more important than FICO scoring, and I know personally even if I were dating someone with an 850 FICO, if they were shopping with both hands... it'd be awfully hard to have a sanguine relationship.  I'd much rather date someone who had the same opinions as me as to what's financially important, and even if they had a sub 600 FICO score that isn't a deal breaker if they're willing to work on it.  Credit scores can be fixed or outright obviated in a non-trivial number of relationships: spending habits are a lot harder to curb.  End of the day I'd rather have a roof over our head and food on the table and our theoretical kids in a non-suck school district than pristine credit when it comes down to it, even if a quality credit score makes all those things much easier assuming you don't have enough money to simply not worry about such things.

        
Message 96 of 115
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I suspect the vast majority of people on this forum don't base their opinion of someone else's post quality on the poster's FICO score

Yes, only those in the 800s, not to mention the piggybackers such as me.

End of the day finances are more important than FICO scoring, and I know personally even if I were dating someone with an 850 FICO, if they were shopping with both hands...

One hand, the other to hold the cold beer that she's getting for me, lol.

Message 97 of 115
SayHey
Established Member

Wow.  I have looked in on this thread from time to time for quite a while.  I am wholly 'impressed' by the request for payment, and happy for the OP to be done, and hopefully moving in a better direction.  Also, shout-out to Revelate for successful use of "sanguine", "obviated" and "non-suck school district" all in the same post.  That is some range! 

Message 98 of 115
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SayHey wrote:

Wow.  I have looked in on this thread from time to time for quite a while.  I am wholly 'impressed' by the request for payment, and happy for the OP to be done, and hopefully moving in a better direction.  Also, shout-out to Revelate for successful use of "sanguine", "obviated" and "non-suck school district" all in the same post.  That is some range! 

Smiley Happy

        
Message 99 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow I seen this thread months ago.
Just caught up.
I was floored when I first read about the OP bailing her out.
I'm happy he made the right choices!
Message 100 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.