Did you mean: 

Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did myFICO ruin my relationship?

Im quitting this site for a few months.

its way too integrated into my life.

the time I'll pop on here is if I'm researching somethign to help someone else.

Message 101 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry to be so short, but I would have her out the door right away. I can see a problem with you getting her out of the house though...she will fight and threaten you if you try to tell her to move....sorry again, you got a bad apple

Message 102 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

This forum can only be awesome Smiley Happy Hope by this time she is out of your house at least. You did everything right.  She did not and never will. I just sent on his way my ex for the second time...and he is 50. Some people will never be good with finances

Message 103 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

This forum can only be awesome Smiley Happy Hope by this time she is out of your house at least. You did everything right.  She did not and never will. I just sent on his way my ex for the second time...and he is 50. Some people will never be good with finances

@Dw4250 wrote:

I'm half-joking, of course.Smiley LOL  But this site has made me not only self-aware about my credit/finances, but caused me to ask some deeper questions about my current girlfriend.  So here's my story:

I’ve been dating the same girl for 2.5 years.  The relationship is going great with the exception of one thing:  Her credit and financial management skills are not very good.  She is 31, has already one bankruptcy on her report from a few years ago, and seems to heading into dangerous waters again.

A little background…she moved in with me in Sept 2013 (I own a townhouse).  At the time, we agreed that she would wait to until April 2014 to pay rent. The logic was to give her 7-8 solid months to funnel the money she had been paying toward her rent and utilities to pay off (or at least significantly paying down) her CC debt.  She told me at the time she owed about 5K in CC debt, and had been paying close to $750 in rent/utilities. (7 months x $750 =$5250)

We have not spoken much about her progress, and I assumed her CC debt was being paid down per our agreement.  Then a few weeks ago, I noticed she had a couple of envelopes arrived in the mail that looked like overdraft notices.  I confronted her on it, and she admitted her checking account was overdrawn.  I asked her where she was in her “debt reduction” program and she told me all of her CC’s were maxed out.  I was floored!  I don’t see any evidence of excessive spending by her (although she did take a trip to Puerto Rico with her sister in January).  She then hit me with a double whammy…her CC debt is now $10K!!! (she had told me last Sept it was around 5K)

I’m really dispirited and am not sure what to do.  My thoughts behind her moving in were 3-fold:

1)   It would give us a chance to strengthen/deepen our relationship

2)   It would end up being cheaper for both of us (share costs)

3)   A break in rent/paying off her CC’s would put her on solid financial footing and we would be well positioned for if/when we wanted to get married and buy a home.

Instead, it seems the opposite has happened.  MY expenses have increased (food/utility costs), and she is actually in WORSE shape financially than when she was paying rent. 

Our self-imposed deadline of April is nearly here, when I assumed she’d be able to start chipping in on rent/utilities (we had agreed that she would pay $350 total including utilities).  She has already told me there’s no way she can pay me rent in April.  Although I am able to make my mortgage payments and other obligations comfortably, it deeply worries me that she’s not able to come up with even $350/month. 

I am in a position to help her.  I went to my CU the other day, and pre-qualed for a 48 mo, $8,000 personal loan at 8.9%.  Monthly payments would come in right around a very comfortable $200/month (she’s paying $200/month just in interest per month on her cards) .  This would instantly help her credit and in a year or so, she could refinance with the loan in her name only.

But as I walked out of the CU, it started to hit me...what if she’s as irresponsible with the loan as she is with everything else?  Do I really want to be with someone who is so unserious about her finances.  To be fair, I was similarly irresponsible with my finances in the past.  It took me YEARS to dig myself out.  So I know how hard it can be.  But I now consider myself to be responsible about money/credit.  Do I really want to go through another roller coaster with someone else’s debt (especially if I am unsure if she’s willing to fully committ to improving her credit and finances)? 

So what do you think guys…should I help her by getting the loan or not?  I am really torn, and don’t want to end the relationship.  But at the same time, I feel like I’ve already tried to help her by giving her a break in rent, the past 8 months and that’s blown up in my face.  I am starting to feel like an enabler for irresponsible behavior.  Has anyone else on here gone through something similar?  If so, what was the outcome?

My profile:

Income: 81K

Debt Obligations: Mortgage, small student loan, car loan, cards in siggy, no kids

Her Profile:

Income: $50K

Debt Obligation: $900/month student loans, $10K in credit card debt, car loan (~$250/month), no kids.

Message 104 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am always envious of everyone's income here.
Message 105 of 115
aav
Established Contributor

I'm glad to hear you got out of that situation. That photo with the new truck would have sealed the deal for many. You sound like a great guy and I hope you find someone special who can be a true partner.

My husband is a prince. I know he would carry the financial load if I asked him to (or if I wanted to retire now that I am eligible) but there is no way I would allow him to do that - at least not until we had the house paid off. We are partners and it's something we will plan together. Our finances are separate, but we both contribute equitably and are transparent our accounts passwords etc. it works well for us.

good luck in all of your finance and romance endeavors.

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 106 of 115
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great read! ... I hope you have found a much more suitable girlfriend that is much more in control & aware of her financial stability. You are a good man. You deserve better than your ex.

Message 107 of 115
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the great read! ... I hope you have found a much more suitable girlfriend that is much more in control & aware of her financial stability. You are a good man. You deserve better than your ex.

Thanks so much!  Well I haven't been on this thread in awhile, but I'm happy to report that I did meet someone new (well sort of new...we met last spring Smiley Tongue).  I'm also happy to report that we just got engaged earlier this month! Smiley Very Happy  

She is the best thing that has ever happened to me (just ahead of myFICO of course...lol!  J/K!). We have begun to plan the wedding and will be looking for a house later this year.  And yes...she is very financially responsible.

Message 108 of 115
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I might have missed something here...how'd you get the now ex gf out of the house?  Smiley Happy

Message 109 of 115
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

I might have missed something here...how'd you get the now ex gf out of the house?  Smiley Happy

Kind of a long story...I think if you scroll to pg 8 or 9 you can get the complete version.  

Short version is I finally had reached the point where I was tired of being used.  She basically had the mindset that I was a walking, talking ATM machine.  And since I was taking care of all the bills, she had no need to take any financial responsibility for anything (then proceeded to rack up even more debt).  It was hard at the time, but looking back now that experience was the best thing that could have happened to me. It taught me some great lessons about life and love.  In the aftermath, I met an amazing woman with whom I plan to share the rest of my life.

As far as getting her out of the house, that was easier than I expected.  I told her I'd give her ample time to move (2-3 months), and she ended up moving in with a friend after a month or so.  Last I heard, she had moved in with her new boyfriend (poor guy! Smiley Tongue)  Anyway, I don't wish her any ill will; I hope she is happy and I hope she learned from that experience too. 

Message 110 of 115
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.