cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you give friends/family credit advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you give friends/family credit advice?

Mom wanted help so recently I have been showing her what I've learned and she has done very well but that's only cause she wanted to be an AU and I said no way lol. Smiley LOL

Message 71 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I told me dad about the Chase Amazon Prime card. He uses Amazon for everything. I let him know I received a $100 SUB and he said it only offered him $20. He checked daily for a two weeks and applied when it raised to $70.

He's happy with the cashback!

Message 72 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

To the OP: Yeah, I can't shut my mouth about it. I bug my family and friends all the time on how to and why they should boost their credit ratings. Some are interested and I'm actually helping them out but the majority just look at me and nod with those blanks stares... haha!
Message 73 of 102
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

... Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

I only give credit advice to friends, family and coworkers that I could actually hug without fear of them misunderstanding my intentions.

All the others might miss the point.

Message 74 of 102
masscredit
Valued Contributor

A friend sent me a screen shot of his Credit Karma scores last night and praised the advice that I gave him.  I know, Credit Karma... Baby steps here!  Smiley Happy 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 75 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the years I’ve tried to talk to my husband about credit. He doesn’t even have a score. I show him my scores and cards to try and convince him that credit is not a bad thing.
Message 76 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Friends/family/and co-workers have all requested my assistance. Everything from how to pull their free CR to removing the baddies. 

Message 77 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really.  I bring up the topic of credit cards every now and then, but it seems like everyone I know isn't really interested in such a conversation.  

Message 78 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

99% of people use credit cards wrong and have only seen them used wrong. So they have no interest in Credit Cards. They're just evil plastic cards that must be cut up. If someone does want to listen I can go on for days though.

Message 79 of 102
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've helped a number of people rebuild their credit since I created this thread. 3 were able to buy new (or new to them) cars. 2 of them started with a high rate then followed through to refinance after their credit improved the following year. It feels good to share the knowledge I have so friends can improve their financial situation.  And it's so simple once you know a few basics.  Those are things I wish I knew 20 years ago. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 80 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.