Established Member

Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

[ Edited ]

Hello

So my friend recently got married but his wife has bad credit score. We were discussing if getting a checking account and filing the taxes together can harm his credit score? So I thought you guys might know something about that?

And if they file taxes together (he is on 1099) is he responsible for her's debt?

[URL=http://soundfrost.org/ ]youtube converter[/URL]
Valued Contributor

Re: Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

chrisMK wrote:

Hello

So my friend recently got married but his wife has bad credit score. We were discussing if getting a checking account and filing the taxes together can harm his credit score? So I thought you guys might know something about that?

And if they file taxes together (he is on 1099) is he responsible for her's debt?

as long as he has no loans, lines of credits or cc's with her his credit will not be affected. if he cosigns something and she defaults it would hurt him. 

(im not sure about him being responsible for her debt) but i dont think he can be held liable. 

Current: Discover Fico 701 3/15 Walmart Fico 684 1/15

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 5 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 03/23/2015
Over 12 Months:6

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility
15% right now, but going up soon :smileysad:
Freedom Signature

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$6400
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
Established Member

Re: Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

Thanks for the reply.
About the debt, from what I read so far, there are controversies but there more people mentioned they cut on your joint taxes, but considering the benefits of filing together is worth it if it's not a huge debt.
(Just in case u were intrested) :smileyhappy:

Established Member

There are more people that...*
(Sry I was tired)

Valued Contributor

If they live in a community property state, he may be responsible for her debt.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.