Established Member
chrisMK

Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

[ Edited ]

Hello

So my friend recently got married but his wife has bad credit score. We were discussing if getting a checking account and filing the taxes together can harm his credit score? So I thought you guys might know something about that?

And if they file taxes together (he is on 1099) is he responsible for her's debt?

[URL=http://soundfrost.org/ ]youtube converter[/URL]
Valued Contributor
creditnocash

Re: Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

chrisMK wrote:

Hello

So my friend recently got married but his wife has bad credit score. We were discussing if getting a checking account and filing the taxes together can harm his credit score? So I thought you guys might know something about that?

And if they file taxes together (he is on 1099) is he responsible for her's debt?

as long as he has no loans, lines of credits or cc's with her his credit will not be affected. if he cosigns something and she defaults it would hurt him. 

(im not sure about him being responsible for her debt) but i dont think he can be held liable. 

Current: Discover Fico 689 9/14 Walmart Fico 689 9/14

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 3 TU 0 EX 0 | Most Recent: 09/26/2014

2014 Goals:
Lower Utility
47%(OUCH!!)
Freedom Signature

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$2900
Citi Diamond Preferred$6000
Citizens Mastercard$7000
Established Member
chrisMK

Re: Does wife's bad score affects on the husband's score if the only have a chk acc together

Thanks for the reply.
About the debt, from what I read so far, there are controversies but there more people mentioned they cut on your joint taxes, but considering the benefits of filing together is worth it if it's not a huge debt.
(Just in case u were intrested) :smileyhappy:

Established Member
chrisMK

There are more people that...*
(Sry I was tired)

Valued Contributor
JM-AM

If they live in a community property state, he may be responsible for her debt.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}