Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dream of being mortgage free one day...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dream of being mortgage free one day...

I dream often that one day we will be mortgage free. Spouse is 32 and I am 34, debt free. Nice savings.  We don't plan on having a mortgage for 30 years. That's insane. We plan on haivng it for half of that or less. It's going to be hard work but it can be done! 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Dream of being mortgage free one day...

The Dream, or realization of this desire is the first step. People make changes because they are tired of something (move away from pain), so looks like you are "tired" of being in mortgage debt so that will drive you to get rid of it as soon as possible. With this motivation, you will realize your dream one day sooner than later.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Goal without a timeline is just a dream.

Message 3 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

We are working to be mortgage free!

The goal is to have our mortgage paid off in less than 5 years from start date.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Although the thought of a debt free home is entertaining, financially it's not a smart move. Mortgage interest is a tax off set against income, real estate increases in value over time (granted there was a pull back in 2008-09 but most of that has recovered). I could go into a very long discussion as to how to leverage todays money to build wealth over time, but that's not something I'm trying to sell here - I'd suggest you study up on long term real estate investing and how it establishes not only set payments (P&I) which get cheaper over time, but major tax advantages and steady increased resale value over time (there are exceptions).

Just to give you a very quick example, 3600 SF 3 level single family home purchased in major metro area (suburbs) in 1989, purchase price $143k, PI = $1009, PITI = $1595, tax write off every year $10k + interest plus $4300 real estate taxes, meaning of the $19k total payments per year, over $14k is a tax deduction which lowers federal/state income tax each year. I understand that the real estate tax one pays is a tax deduction, mortgage or no mortgage.

Current value $450,000 +/-  current rent for a 2BR 2BTH apt (no utilities included or garage) in the same area, $2000 to $2500 a month, with NO tax atvantage. 

I will say that I purchased a brand new Condo in Myrtle Beach in early 2003, 2BR 2 BTH with a 1 car garage - purchase price $80k, mortgage 50k. I paid off the mortgage in just under 3 years and sold it just under 4 years for $130k. This was a vacation home, not a rental or shared place, and in that case I didn't want a mortgage, if it had been a rental property, 100% sure I'd have carried a mortgage for as long as possible. 

Like I said, it could be a very long discussion.....

Message 5 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Many ways the conversation can go....

For me, it's better NOT to have the debt and NOT to worry about loosing my home (and my credit) if I am unable to pay the mortgage.

The tax savings - for me - is not that great.  It's only a percentage of the income.  A few years ago, I had found a program that would calculate out the approximate tax savings of mortgage interest.  I ran numbers on the property I wanted to buy with regular paycheck income and on retirement income.  Turns out - for me - that the more money I earned (paycheck versus retirement), the better the tax break, dollar wise.

I realize it's an individual, big picture, different for everybody situation.

For me, I would rather pocket the $400 a month in interest than give it to the bank.  I certainly don't get a dollar for dollar tax break of $4800 on my taxes for the mortgage interest I pay out.  I don't pay the mortgage interest because I put more than 20% down.

It sounds like you have done your homework and know what is best for you tax-wise.  Congrats on your profitable real estate deals!

Message 6 of 10
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Can get complicated.

My perspective is simple people, got simple ways...and I am a simple person.

I rather be debt free and stress free...right now I am since I don't have amortgage and will. I imagine this is how it feels (right now I am feeling it) to be debt free and owe no one nothing. Once I get a mortgage, the goal will be again, to be debt free and have this same feeling again. To each his/her own.

Message 7 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Many ways the conversation can go....

For me, it's better NOT to have the debt and NOT to worry about loosing my home (and my credit) if I am unable to pay the mortgage.

The tax savings - for me - is not that great.  It's only a percentage of the income.  A few years ago, I had found a program that would calculate out the approximate tax savings of mortgage interest.  I ran numbers on the property I wanted to buy with regular paycheck income and on retirement income.  Turns out - for me - that the more money I earned (paycheck versus retirement), the better the tax break, dollar wise.

I realize it's an individual, big picture, different for everybody situation.

For me, I would rather pocket the $400 a month in interest than give it to the bank.  I certainly don't get a dollar for dollar tax break of $4800 on my taxes for the mortgage interest I pay out.  I don't pay the mortgage interest because I put more than 20% down.

It sounds like you have done your homework and know what is best for you tax-wise.  Congrats on your profitable real estate deals!

I don't disagree with what you think is the best course for your future - however I think you meant you don't pay PMI rather than mortgage interest with 20%+ down or in equity.

Message 8 of 10
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

My perspective is simple people, got simple ways...and I am a simple person.

^^^ This, among other things.

Some of us don't have incomes that make a mortgage deduction worthwhile. Some of us are retired or nearing retirement and don't want a big monthly payment coming out of fixed incomes. Some of us don't ever want to be in a position where we could lose our house to a bank. Some of us just HATE DEBT and want the freedom being debt free adds to our lives.

Yay, OP! I hope you have a good plan and that the fates are kind to you. Being mortgage free is a worthy goal.

Message 9 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I dream often that one day we will be mortgage free. Spouse is 32 and I am 34, debt free. Nice savings.  We don't plan on having a mortgage for 30 years. That's insane. We plan on haivng it for half of that or less. It's going to be hard work but it can be done! 

Mortgage free is our goal as well - 4.5 years and counting 

Have you considered converting to a 15 year mortgage?

We are on our 3rd home and always go 15 yr with auto withdrawl each month so the expense is built into our "budget". Personally, we lack the discipline for extra payments so the 30 yr route was a non starter for us.

Good luck!

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.