cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex Did a Terrible Thing... Is My Credit Ruined?

tag
zahservices

Re: Ex Did a Terrible Thing... Is My Credit Ruined?

This was really tragic and I'll say a prayer for your situation. I don't know the first way to advise you, this isn't my area of expertise. But I did want to say thank you for sharing because it gives others a lesson in what not to do, and what to look out for. Next time though, spare us the bleeps... it only serves to turn your situation into a comical one, when apparently, it is the furthest thing from.

God speed.

EE

Starting Score: 575
Current Score: 594
Goal Score: 840

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 34
adorax
Established Member

Re: TRe: Ex Did a Terrible Thing... Is My Credit Ruined?

I am so sorry to hear this! Like you, we've been separated for 3 years but haven't finalized a divorce yet either, partly for the health insurance. We have a joint mortgage, checking, savings and one CC which is still open but unused. I haven't even activated the newest cards. He has a bank account and credit cards in his own name now and so do I and we will be shutting down all the "joints" when the time comes. I would know instantly if it was being used since it's right there on my online bank account and he would have to go out of his way to do that. I don't really worry about it but obviously you didn't have reason to either, until your ex did what he did. I do realize it's a risk. There were a bunch of reasons I've been keeping it open but I'm glad the end is near!
Message 32 of 34
Sock
Valued Member

You will always be tied to him while you are married. Being separated doesn't mean anything in a legal sense, except to a family court that requires an offical year of separation before granting a divorce. Otherwise... you are still married.

Heck, if you live in a communal property state and buy a car under your own name (not with his), he can still come by one day, pick it up, and sell it to someone else and keep the money.

The only thing you can do is get the Court to order him responsible for all of the debt. Once you have that, then you can take the court order to the cc companies and see if they will work with you. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Message 33 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

The big issue I have with your story is...... When you got seperated and knew you had joint accounts with this person, why did you not knot take your name off! 

Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.