Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

Fake jewelry and the joy of being on the same page

A couple weeks ago my boyfriend ordered a necklace for me that I saw and immediately fell in love with. Now, I'm usually not one for jewelry, but something about this particular heart shape and the black swooping stones were precisely my style, and he was equally impressed. It was on one of those Amazon review sites where you can get things at significant discount, in this case 50% off. It was now only $10, and I had reached my limit of items. So I used all my feminine wiles to entreat him to get it for me, and he happily obliged.

Last night as we were enjoying the necklace I told him that I was just as happy - no, happier - than if he had spent hundreds or thousands on "real" jewelry for me. We've been talking marriage for several months now, and I've mentioned more than once that I'd be happy with a fake diamond in my ring. It's just not that important to me to have a genuine stone on my finger. I'd much rather the money be spent on items that tangibly improve life.

He says I'm the first girlfriend he's had who's been happy when he doesn't spend money on her. After hearing some of his tales, my reply was "Are you kidding? I'd KILL you if you spent that much on me."

Now this necklace is more than just an enjoyment of the style. It's a reminder of how much we're on the same page with finances. Smiley Happy

Established Contributor

Re: Fake jewelry and the joy of being on the same page

Congrats on your great relationship.  It seems like you are both very mature and thoughtful in your decision-making.  Best of luck with the future.

Goal: 700's by 11/1/2015 (all baddies will be gone)

Community Leader
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

A great relationship in the making here on and out.  We actually take it further in our case.  We don't do gifts at all and haven't done it for years and we love it this way.  Maturity in a relationship is a wonderful thing. It is about having good communication, being compatible financially and intellectually among other things.  You seem to have a very good guy so take good care of him and treat him like the king he is. [ I mean king in a jovial waySmiley Happy]

New Contributor

You have a solid foundation of a great relationship.
goodcreditgirl1
Valued Contributor

Great story and thanks for sharing it.  That must be a great feeling to be on the same page like that.  I've never experienced a relationship where we both saw eye to eye financially.  Maybe one day...  I envy what you have for sure!

Kudos to You!!!

I learned a long time ago that I didn't necessarily need the big fancy jewelry to make me happy. I personally love going on cruises and vacations and I would much rather have a nice 50 dollar "fake" engagement ring on my finger than a 5000 dollar real one and eating ramen noodles and spam for a year. 

Valued Contributor

I think it's important to recognize that this tradition of extremely expensive offerings for a hand in marriage came from dowries, a man was purchasing a woman.

Doing away with it, mutually, is fantastic.

No offense to anyone who adores this tradition, of course, and if you have disposable income, it may seem like pennies to the rest of us. It's all relative.

EX08 659 EQ08 660 TU08 695 Starting: mid 300'sGoal: 700
Valued Contributor

lowkeyorca wrote:

I think it's important to recognize that this tradition of extremely expensive offerings for a hand in marriage came from dowries, a man was purchasing a woman.

Doing away with it, mutually, is fantastic.

No offense to anyone who adores this tradition, of course, and if you have disposable income, it may seem like pennies to the rest of us. It's all relative.

Truth. For people who have tons of disposable income, it may be nice to spend it on fat rings, big weddings or Lamborghinis, but feeling pressure to spend money on unsubstantial things like jewelry or weddings is a danger sign to me. Going into debt for things like that, as so many people do now, seems downright insane.

OP, I'm glad you and your DBF are on the same page. You sound like you're off to a great start.

I would also be watchful because there's a fine line between being intelligently careful about money and being a penny pinching cheapskate. The first is a wonderful, wise thing. The second can be a nightmare.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.