Did you mean: 

Financially UNstable Fiancee

tag
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Financially UNstable Fiancee

60 hours, good lord Smiley Sad

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 21 of 35
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I asked DGF to handle all finance for 14 months. She's far mor oganized and I had a lot to learn before taking over again. I honestly wouldn't be where I am without all her help. I did the rebuilding but she got everything organized, financed @ 0%, and manageable. I had around $6K CC debt from AU card he ex had.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 35
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
What is this bit about "consent"? Where'd you get that one?

From you actually. Smiley Happy "you have no legal right to access your BF's scores, via a myFICO account or any other manner. Same for married folks; doesn't matter: husbands can't pull wives' scores and vice versa."

So since you also say that "IF the partner is genuinely content and relieved to let the other manage all the money issues (there are such people; it really does happen), it's not an automatic deal-breaker," then obviously consent is required if handling money issues includes withdrawing from checking account and pulling credit scores on the other's behalf.

I'm not talking about calling FICO customer service, where you are looked at or listened to. I'm talking about not doing the wrong thing even when no one is looking. You said that "of course, spouses etc do this sort of thing." And I say, don't do this sort of thing without reasonable consent.

Such a reasonable consent doesn't equal content and relieved. The latter may simply indicate not wanting to be bothered with the logistics of financial housekeeping, while the former touches on to which extent you pass on the overall decision making.

Message 23 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I see. I thought you meant consent as in some sort of legal form.

Obviously, if one spouse asks the other to keep an eye on credit and so forth, there is an implied consent involved. That's different from one sneaking peaks at the other's credit reports, maybe trying to see if there's a lot of new credit activity going on during all those business trips.

Again, I pointed out that legally, one person can't pull another's credit. As I recall, there's something on there that you have to check off when you pull a report that says, yes, I am this person. It's important to realize this in case one party calls a credit bureau to ask about something on the other person's credit report while attempting to help clean up the other's credit. That's a very good way to have the credit bureau to block any access by anyone, due to suspicion of attempted fraud. 

I figure that little factoid is something useful for people to know and keep in mind.

I think it's great when one party helps the other out in credit land. DXH happily OK'd me to pull his reports when I was trying to get a collection off two of his reports that should never have been there. He was justly proud of his clean history and wanted them off, but otherwise he had absolutely no interest in learning anything about credit.

Sorry if I confused you.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@FrugalRican wrote:

There's nothing wrong with seeing "The Help". I still retained my masculinity after it.

Smiley Very Happy

I've read the book, and I keep toting around the DVD, which I hope that I will one day stay awake long enough to stick in the player and watch. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 35
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@FrugalRican wrote:

60 hours, good lord Smiley Sad

Massive software meltdown, and day after day of having to sit through WebX meetings, unable to do any real work, watching strangers remote in and try to figure out why we have been down since the first of the month. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

I've learned a lot of techie jargon, though. Smiley Very Happy --still no idea what most of it means, but I have some spiffy new phrases to randomly sprinkle about. Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 35
lithium78
Established Contributor

My DW and I have separate personal checking accounts where we deposit our paychecks and separate personal savings accounts for personal goals, but we also have a joint checking account into which we transfer money to pay for bills and expenses and a joint savings account we use for future goals we share as a couple.  We also have our own separate credit cards.  So far, this system has worked for us, but we are also both pretty good about money.

If your significant other is interested in learning how to handle personal finances better, I would recommend the book I used to get myself back on track: "The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke" by Suze Orman.  It's very readable and not intimidating at all for the personal finance novice.  It really helped me figure out what to do after my credit tanked from a long illness.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am more attracted to someone who financially "gets it" then anything at this point in my life.

Message 28 of 35
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I am more attracted to someone who financially "gets it" then anything at this point in my life.

Not having to constantly worry about someone financially messing up your life is pretty attractive, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am attracted to Mila Kunis Heart

but someone that cannot handle their money makes me feel like I am dating a child and I cannot stand it!  I date women my son's age (18-25), but women are supposed to be more mature than men!!!  **stomps feet**

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.