Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding myself in a quandrum.....

tag
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Finding myself in a quandrum.....

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

Part of the problem is the way I view her now vs back when she was working. When we moved, we put our daughter (only one child at the time) in daycare. Well, due to the cost of daycare, we were actually having to cough money out of my pay plus all of the money she made to pay for daycare.

So we talked and the decision was made that she would stay home.

I think this is where my views changed. Not that I did it directly or conciously but more of a by-product of how the roles changed.

I know, it sucks either way and it's my own fault for this. I'm just trying to fix it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 11 of 20
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

The way we deal with finances...

* All of the money goes into a joint account.

* I am the Money Honey Queen by agreement - both my husband and I agreed to it.

* We have a budget that gets weekly massages because life happens.

* I discuss the plan for the paycheck.  DH says he's not concerned about it and doesn't need to know.

* I ask, before starting a budget massage session, the family if they can think of anything happening in the next two weeks that we need money for.  It's great - family members stop, think,  respond, and take part in the money conversation!  (They don't care when it's a budget topic, but this one - it works.)  They often come up with things for the next month and for the next six months (so I can save for it).

* On payday, I pay bills, and give a quick verbal update that sounds like this "It's done.  All bills are paid.  We have xxx left over.  What do you want to do with it?"  I get responses to this too...usually a "we can go out to eat" or "put it on a CD" or "can you buy a new CD with that?"  "have we paid the full amount into our IRA for this year?" or "let's save for xxx"

I do post in view of everyone (even house visitors) what the goals are and our CD bingo charts.  When we were paying down debt, I had a debt chart posted right on the fridge.  (My personal income is not posted.   It's what we keep, not what we make, that is important.)

IOBA, I thought about this post all night last night. The thing that I love most here is that it sounds like your entire family is involved and on board. That's the piece that I think is sometimes missing. (Madmann, I'm not pointing fingers at you at all - just speaking from my own experience....) If the communication is good, and there's enough transparency that everyone is clear on the goals and the method of getting there, that's a slam dunk. As you know, since you just hit a big milestone.

I'm no longer married. But, I am working toward being in great financial shape so that I can look at a home purchase sometime in 2015. I've tried to involve the kids as much as possible, because when I was growing up my folks never ever talked about money or taught us how to budget or anything. I want my kids to have some kind of exposure to that when they're young, so that they don't screw up the way I did out of sheer ignorance. It's smart to learn how to live within your means, and to have the skills to plan ahead, and to be able to talk to your family about finances. They should be able to see the reason why the lights should get turned off when we leave the house, or what happens if the air conditioner is cranked up for days on end. Hats off to you, IOBA. I admire your abiity to be open with the family.

Message 12 of 20
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts,

We're working through it. I did a budget and presented it to her and she just kinda scoffed at it.

I see both sides of the fence and I am trying to include her more on the finance stuff to ensure that she feels that she has a say so in matters.

I don't know what the future holds for us right now.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 13 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,

We're working through it. I did a budget and presented it to her and she just kinda scoffed at it.

I see both sides of the fence and I am trying to include her more on the finance stuff to ensure that she feels that she has a say so in matters.

I see your point but honestly think you're reacting more out of guilt than actually being/feeling wrong.

This is a contrary opinion but; Going from two incomes to one is a huge adjustment and it's entirely possible she felt more fulfilled with the working/daycare situation, despite losing money. Maybe she should find a job where the numbers make sense. Everyone's not cut out to stay home and you're probably more of a problem-solver type than cheerleader.

I read this thread to DGF (when it started) and she still can't figure out what your DW is upset about. She said paying the bills was sharing the money and made your lives easier. IIRC, she called paying the CA's a gift.

Take this with a grain of salt, from a divorced guy: Someone complaining all the time is unhappy. With ExDW, it was always something. Now that I'm not there to hear a constant barrage of complaints the children have to endure it.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 20
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,

I see your point but honestly think you're reacting more out of guilt than actually being/feeling wrong.

This is a contrary opinion but; Going from two incomes to one is a huge adjustment and it's entirely possible she felt more fulfilled with the working/daycare situation, despite losing money. Maybe she should find a job where the numbers make sense. Everyone's not cut out to stay home and you're probably more of a problem-solver type than cheerleader.

I read this thread to DGF (when it started) and she still can't figure out what your DW is upset about. She said paying the bills was sharing the money and made your lives easier. IIRC, she called paying the CA's a gift.

Take this with a grain of salt, from a divorced guy: Someone complaining all the time is unhappy. With ExDW, it was always something. Now that I'm not there to hear a constant barrage of complaints the children have to endure it.

Are you in my head or something?

She did feel more fulfilled when she was working. She had her own identity, so-to-speak.

Her problem is that I didn't tell her that I had gotten it, was hoarding the rest of it and spent a little on me.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 15 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,

She did feel more fulfilled when she was working. She had her own identity, so-to-speak.

Her problem is that I didn't tell her that I had gotten it, was hoarding the rest of it and spent a little on me.

Is your family further ahead and in better shape financially?

Not trusting someone's financial decision making (based on previous experience) doesn't mean you don't love them. We all have areas that could be improved upon.

Message 16 of 20
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,

Not trusting someone's financial decision making (based on previous experience) doesn't mean you don't love them. We all have areas that could be improved upon.

Where are we getting the impression that Wife is the one with the money management problem? Madmann, I thought you said in your first post you were the one with the poor management history. It's awesome that things have turned around for you - that's great.  It sounds like there are other issues at play here, though, that have less to do with money and perhaps more to do with differing perspectives on partnership. 

I was in a similar position as your wife, so I can kind of understand where she's coming from. I don't think this is about the money. That's a difficult place to be in, I know.

I wish you luck, and I hope you find the outcome that's the best for you & your family.

Message 17 of 20
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@InvincibleSummer3 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@madmann26 wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,

Where are we getting the impression that Wife is the one with the money management problem? Madmann, I thought you said in your first post you were the one with the poor management history. It's awesome that things have turned around for you - that's great.  It sounds like there are other issues at play here, though, that have less to do with money and perhaps more to do with differing perspectives on partnership. 

I was in a similar position as your wife, so I can kind of understand where she's coming from. I don't think this is about the money. That's a difficult place to be in, I know.

I wish you luck, and I hope you find the outcome that's the best for you & your family.

I am the one with the poor money management history. There are some other issues at hand but this is the big one right now.

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 18 of 20
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Well it was an interesting night,

I got my new upgraded NFCU siggy card in the mail. I am very proud of this, for financial/personal reasons. My wife made the comment that I should close the account. I was like, "what"? I don't think she realizes, even though I have explained it to her quite a few times, that you really can't build up a good score without some type of revolving cards. I guess she doesn't believe me.

Her mentality is that I don't need the temptation. While this is true, I also don't carry that card, just for that reason. But does that mean I have to go and close it just because she wants me to? Hell no and I won't budge on this one. I've worked on my/our credit repair substantially since Aug 2012. Hell, she has a higher score then me right now, just because of the work I have put into it knowing that in a couple of years, we want to be in a good position to buy a house.

She might as well have said, "you can't have any credit cards, only I can have credit cards".  Sure, I got frustrated by this and it showed. I walked away from the conversation just to keep from saying something stupid.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 19 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Have to run out for an oil change and haircut but wanted to add this:

I really made a lot of financial mistakes and DGF helped set me on the right road to better financial management. But...... She's always had absolutely perfect credit and didn't understand repair one bit. When I got a card she was pretty nervous history would repeat itself, more nervous with second card, and so on. Fixing my credit took a lot of work and time, that's one of the earns I'm so militant about protecting it. I love knowing that when our income is right, there's no dance to do or scores to really worry about.

Possibly, in time she'll see things are improving but it seems like there are a lot of other issues magnifying how she perceives things being paid off. It's entirely possible she thinks the bills and CAs paid for out of the bonus should have never existed in the first place. Maybe she's ticked-off at why the money was spent, not how. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.