Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GF is AU on Freedom

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

GF is AU on Freedom

I put my GF as an AU on my freedom so she can use when shes low on money to buy food at work. I know most of you will say i shouldnt have but we plan on getting married when i am finished with school in a year so i did not think it was a big deal. Yesterday she bought some stuff that came out to $62. the thing is she got paid yesterday as well. should i ask her why she wanted to use that much or just say that i cant do that all the time. I dont mind she uses it but $62 is alot to me and i want to make sure shes not always going to be doing that. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: GF is AU on Freedom

I don't know what to tell you, Man.

Sorry. If reading horror stories here (and elsewhere on-line) about how poorly that situation can turn out, there's nothing I could possibly say that would help.Smiley Happy

I'm not anti-AU, just think people really need to set boundaries and let expectations be known in advance before risking sharing credit. If your girl wasn't made aware of how/when/why you make payments, she might be under the assumption that you'll let her know something when the statement closes.

FWIW, I'm AU on a card of DGF's and she's on one of mine. These are for utilization purposes and neither has or carries a balance. I forgot this month and let a balance post on a card. Her score wasn't affected but it was an annoying reminder about being financially tied.

Best I can say is good luck. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 33
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

thanks ill talk to her about and say i dont mind it but i cant do it all the time..

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 3 of 33
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

thanks ill talk to her about and say i dont mind it but i cant do it all the time..

Isn't she paying the $62?!

Message 4 of 33
marty56
Super Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

This is your chance to see what your married future will be with her based on her answer.  Even you if don't get the answer you want, she may be doing you a favor in the long run by how she answers it.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the above posts. This can truly be a preview of what you can expect if you get married. If you cant get on the same page now, then you have info that some dont get until they have said their vows.

Message 6 of 33
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

1- if she is expecting YOU to pay that purchase, you need to end it now. I don't care how hot you think she is

2- remove her as an AU, STAT.

3- You'll thank us later.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 33
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Trust and believe; for this lesson, $62 is a bargain! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@afbar1114 wrote:

I put my GF as an AU on my freedom so she can use when shes low on money to buy food at work. I know most of you will say i shouldnt have but we plan on getting married when i am finished with school in a year so i did not think it was a big deal. Yesterday she bought some stuff that came out to $62. the thing is she got paid yesterday as well. should i ask her why she wanted to use that much or just say that i cant do that all the time. I dont mind she uses it but $62 is alot to me and i want to make sure shes not always going to be doing that. 

Why can't she cook and take her lunch to work?  You should really remove her as an AU on the account.  Is her credit good enough to get her own Chase card? Making purchases on the card, that is by no means an emergency, the same day as payday should be  a wake up call for you.  Good luck!

Message 9 of 33
FrugalRican
Blogger

@afbar1114 wrote:

If she got paid yesterday, why are you paying the $62? Is this your arrangement with her? She eats, you pay?

And if it is your card, can't you see where the $62 was spent? Was this in a restaurant? Who eats $62 by themselves (HINT HINT)?

And if you are asking us NOW about THIS... I can't wait to see how worse it'll get later on.

You say it's not a big deal, but you made a post about it... contradictions, abound.

Be honest, it is a big deal. $62 is her testing you, by the way. She'll go higher if this is left unchecked.

And like others have said, this is experimental time for you.

I could leave my wallet, cards, cellphone in a room with my DGF and know it could go untouched for a month... and she'd definitely have to answer for a $62 charge, just as I would if I did it on her cards.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.